The Millers

The next morning, Louise watched from her window as the Millers on the other side of the street spilled out of their house, armed to the teeth with guns, sharp garden tools and knives.

Claudia came downstairs, gun loaded and ready to go. She signed for Daniel to follow her.

The boy stood up and followed Claudia. Louise stayed behind in the doorpost, watching as Claudia and Daniel made their way over the middle of the road.

"Don't shoot! I won't harm your son!" Claudia called out to the wounded man that stood slumped over in the yard.

The man signed for his people to stand down with a wave of his good hand, he glared at the bruises on his kid's wrists and arms.

"Who did that to him?" he asked his anger palpable from the furrow in his brow and lines around his mouth.

Claudia turned to look at Louise.

Louise took a deep breath and stepped down from the porch, one hand on her gun the other slack at her side.

"I did, sir. I am sorry, he scared me when I found him digging through the pantry."

The man looked at his son and then back at Louise.

"Did he take anything?" the man asked.

"No but we fed him some crackers." Louise responded, crossing her arms. "I am sorry that he is bruised, I should've been more careful."

"Yeah, you probably should've." The man said, before turning back to Claudia.

"She's your sister or something?" he asked Claudia.

"Ward." Claudia responded coolly, "Her parents died two weeks ago, she's still dealing."

A hint of understanding crossed the man's face.

"We are with only two of us, I'd like to make a deal." Claudia said, she patted Daniel on the shoulder. "You get your kid back and a cut from whatever we have in our pantry if we can join your group. We'll stay out of your hair if needed, but we won't make it alone." She turned to Louise. "Louise can be a handful, but she is a good fighter." Claudia pleaded with the man.

The man thought for a second, turning to his group, he glared at Louise as he turned. The young woman felt a shiver go up her spine, the man and her would have things to hash out if they joined the group.

The man whispered to his people, trying to devise a plan of action and come to an agreement. He nodded, finally turning back to Claudia and hobbling over to her and extending her hand to Claudia.

"We got a deal, on one condition." He said. Claudia took his hand. "You two stay in the shed in our backyard and keep night watch." He said.

Claudia looked over at Louise who shrugged and nodded.

"We got a deal." Claudia confirmed with the man before shaking his hand. "We'll get our things and make our way over."

Louise felt the tension in the home as soon as she walked in, she spotted the six people. An elderly woman, a young, sick looking girl. Two tweens who looked like they wanted to be anywhere else and a mother with a very young child. Louise frowned, immediately looking away and walking to the backyard where a small living space was set up.

James, Daniel's father had set them up with an old mattress and some blankets and pillows. Louise dug a small hole in the backyard and loaded it with kindle and some small logs that lay around the make-shift fire pit.

Claudia unpacked their stuff and made an area for their night watch, the elderly woman came outside not much later, dragging a jug of water along.

"It's been warm today, have something to drink." She offered Louise. Louise smiled politely, carefully taking the jug from her hands and taking a swig before handing it to Claudia.