Off The Edge

Astrids POV:

I closed my sisters car door. The smell of the late summer air hit my nose. I felt so alive. My first real concert, my first day of being an adult, and the day I see my favorite band live. I really couldn't ask for more. "I can't believe you dragged me to this fucking concert. I have better places to be on a Friday night" Alyssa said.

"Sis loosen up you know you would do anything for me." I stared at her with my signature smile and my puppy dog eyes.

"This bands music better be good bro" She sighed out as we walked into the venue and up to security.

"Excuse me I'll have you know that My Chemical Romance is the best band known to man." I handed my bag to security and walked through the metal detector.

"Alright but if I don't like one of the songs I swear I'm walking out and waiting for you in the car" She said.

I rolled my eyes. There was no way she was being serious. She loves me.

My sister has always been my parents favorite child. Since as long as I remember I've been compared to her. From the way I dress to my grades. I've never been able to live up to my parents expectations of me. They most definitely don't like this new music taste of mine. They say it's "demonic" and "no pretty girl like me should be listening to that" but quite frankly I don't care. After a while you just stop trying to live up to their expectations.

"Ugh I really don't know why I came here" She said.

"You came here for me. Now, if you'd stop complaining I'd greatly appreciate it." I gave her a sarcastic smile as I sat in my seat and propped my feet up.

"The band should be coming out any minute now." I said staring at the stage.
I'm so excited for this concert. 18 years of being on this earth and I've never been to a concert. I mean I've been to my mom's gospel concerts but I didn't really wanna go to those so they don't count. I mean who-

"Excuse me." I heard a rough voice say interrupting my train of thought.

I looked up and there was a the most beautiful man I'd ever seen. His eyes lured me in I couldn't stop staring and those dark curls I could sit there forever just playing with his hair and don't get me started on that fitted shirt that was tight all the right places. How could a man be this perfect I mean honestly? Oh and those-

"My seat is right there." He interrupted my thoughts again as he pointed to the seat next to mine.

"Oh um my bad I um didn't know" I said as I put my legs down

He stared at me as he walked past and plopped into the seat. Suddenly it felt very hot. I don't know why but now I had the urge to take off my jacket or something. Just then the band walked onto the stage and everyone stood from their seats. Everyone except my sister of course. They played the first song of the night and I couldn't help but scream the lyrics at the top of my lungs. I was having the time of my life right now.

"I literally cannot deal with the sound anymore I think I'll wait in the bathroom or something." My sister said 4-5 songs into the concert.

"Do you really hate this music that much?"

"I'm sorry but this has got to be the worse experience ever. I mean how could you listen to this my head is pounding."

"It's really not that bad they haven't even sung my favorite song yet"

"Yea um whatever just text me when this thing is over. I think ima go and get some food. You'll be ok here alone right?"

"Yea yea I'll be fine just make sure you bring me back something. Alright?"

"Ok I will. Happy birthday again I'm sorry I couldn't deal with this music."

"It's ok Alyssa."

I continued to sing at the top of my lungs and record everything. I truly could not be happier right now. Im actually 18 now I can vote, get a tattoo without parent permission, buy fireworks, play the lottery, work full time, and I can adopt a child. Like what more could I want? You know when I was 14 dreaming of how my 18th birthday would go I was expecting a big party with all of my friends with a chocolate fountain and a swimming pool. I wasn't expecting me to be alone at an Alternative rock concert but here I am. I mean I'm happy so that's all that really matters.

"Hey um I didn't know that I could find girls as pretty as you at these type of concerts. If I would've known that I would've came here earlier." The rough voice next to me called out.

I looked over and chuckled "I didn't know I could find guys as handsome as you here either"

I mean really this guy was literally the hottest guy I'd ever seen. He towered over me he looked to be about 6'3. Compared to me being 5'4 it wasn't hard for people to be taller than me but Jesus. His height definitely did something to me.

"I'm Kai." He said as he held out his hand.

"I'm Astrid." I said with a smile as I took his hand to shake.

"You look young what are you like 23-24 ish?"

"More like 18." I said.

"18??? You're joking right? Are you still in highschool?"

"Nope I'm being for real and no I'm in college my birthday is just late. What are you like 25?"

"Um more like 28."

"28?? No way that's 10 years."

"Yep I'm aware." He sighed 

"I mean we're both grown. We can still be friends right?"

"Yea we can. What are you're socials?"

We exchanged numbers and social media. We spent the rest of the night singing, dancing ,and recording our night. I'd never connected with someone as much as I connected with Kai. Let alone the opposite gender. If only we were closer in age but I mean I am grown now so it shouldn't matter.

The best concert of my life just ended. Kai and I walked out of the venue together and onto the road. The city looks so beautiful at night with all the lights and buildings.

"Tonight was amazing." Kai said as he stopped walking and turned to me.

"Tell me about it"

"You know I'd love if I could see you again sometime."

"I would love that." I said.

Suddenly the air felt thick. The tension was high and I could see Kai leaning in. I suddenly felt his soft lips pressed against mine. The whole feeling felt warm and cozy like I just wanted to feel this way forever.

"Goodnight Astrid." He said as he pulled away with a smile.

"Goodnight Kai"

He walked away and I stood there leaning against a building until I saw my sisters car pull up a minute later.

"Was the concert really that good you seem giddy?" My sister said as I opened the door.

"The concert was amazing." I said with a smile on my face.

"Alright, here's your food I bought chicken."

"Ok thanks"

"Oh and mom texted me there's a guy she wants you to meet. It's her friends son. She thinks he will be good for you." She said as she handed me my drink.

"No, hell no, a million times fucking no I'm not meeting him."

"Well she wanted me to tell you that he's coming by the house on Sunday." she looked at me then back at the road.

"Your joking right?"

Silence filled the car as we drove home. The only thing you could hear was the sound of nature from outside the car and the sound of me eating. There was actually no way I could meet this guy. That's the last thing I want.