5. Runaway.

A library was a flop.

It seemed to them that no one really was working solely organizing books; although it was clearly required to do so.

"I am no librarian, but it's a mess." Edith said it, wrinkling her nose. "How do you guys even find anything here?" 

Janosh shrugged. "Adelhaide is always finding what she needs — somehow. Me and Alexander, we just have what we need in one place."

"Jesus. That's not a library, that's a freaking warehouse." She sighed. "Maybe I'm minding other's business, but how it even works? I mean, not a library — it's a dead case, but in general — The Counterbalance?"

"Well," said Alexander, "we have a limited number of people."

"Exactly? Again, if you don't think I should peak my nose into this, just say it."

Terry was just standing and overseeing the scene. She is so in her place right now. Eyes are lit, business tone of voice, she is in her element.

"I think it's better to ask Adelhaide?"

Edith pointed her finger at him. "Don't fool me. You're the head here, not Adelhaide." 

Alexander laughed. "You have a razor-sharp mind, don't you? Yes, I am the head for now, until Adelhaide is not back."

"Adelhaide is more often out of here than not." Edith shook her head. "Anyway, how many of you are here?"

"Five. Me, Janosh, laundress, cook." He hesitated for a second. "And Emily."

"Knew it," victoriously smiled Edith. 

"Should be more," cooled her down Alexander, "used to be more. We lost our second witch not so long ago, she was old, sadly. And Adelhaide is even more windy last years than ever."

"Don't look at me that way, Alexander. I'm a witch only by the name." Edith glanced at him. "Maybe in a couple of decades."

"We can wait," replied Alexander with a polite tone.

***

"What was that?" Terry asked with a curiosity in her voice. 

"A confrontation," guessed Edith, "in the library? It was a job interview. I heard what I wanted to hear, and Alexander did the same. 'We will call you back'". She said the last sentence with a serious voice and giggled.

When they got off the train that delivered them back to Budapest, Terry noticed that Edith was shivering — it was an early morning, and the weather this day was particularly cold.

"Why didn't you bring warm clothing with you?" sternly asked Terry, when they were trying to heat up in the train station building. "I..." Edith clacked her teeth, "d-d-don't have any warmer."

"We need to buy you something then," decisively said Terry, "right freaking now, or you'll catch the cold." 

Edith looked away. "I d-don't have money."

"I do. No complaints, no discussion. Come on."

In the closest clothing store looked to be promising, Terry rushed to the saleswoman with the determined face. "We need something warm for a girl."

"How old is the girl?" Terry looked at Edith. "Twenty-two."

The saleswoman deafeningly laughed. "Alright, come with me." She left them in the section with the coats, jackets, and parkas.

"What was that play?" asked Edith. Terry giggled. "Can't I joke once?"

Edith gritted her teeth.

"Oh, come on! Did I harm your feelings?" Terry glanced at her. "Alright. My apologies. I didn't mean to injure you. Peace?"