prologue

Mali-Koa Hood: One of the most popular girls at Northern Rock High. She's been the reigning prom queen since freshman year. She's head of the cheer team and the head of all her classes. Everybody loves her, teachers included.

Calum Hood: His popularity stems from being Mali's twin brother. He's well known and sits at the popular table beside his sister. He's EXTREMELY protective over his sister, so he's never been the biggest fan of Ashton. Well, at least that's what Ashton assumes.
He's the best player on the school's varsity soccer team, which causes girls to fawn over him, even though he has his eyes on someone else.

Ashton Irwin: He's not necessarily popular, but he isn't unpopular either. He's best friends with Mali and is on somewhat good terms with Calum. Due to their closeness, everybody believes Mali and Ashton are an item. Ashton loves Mali, but not in that way. Her brother, though...that's another story.

Luke Hemmings: reasonably unpopular. All he's known for is being known as Ashton's stepbrother, being good at the guitar, and dating the weird kid. He has a sweet relationship with Ashton, the two always being there for each other.

Michael Clifford: the weird kid. He's known for his obnoxiously bright hair, dating Ashton's brother, and his "weird" anime drawings.