Not a matter of trust...

Dilan was finishing a call when Zeynep entered her office. She had secured the funds necessary to start construction of the new orphanage. Karabey Holdings donated the land. After everything she experienced lately, something like this made her feel better. "Yes, Zeynep." Her assistant walked to her desk. "Ms. Gözde is here." Dilan got up from behind the desk and headed for the door. "Ms. Gözde." They shook hands. "Please, come inside. What can we offer you to drink?" She responded right away. "Coffee would be fine." Zeynep left to get the coffee, and Dilan gestured for Ms. Gözde to sit on the couch before her. "I'm glad that you agreed to meet me, Ms. Dilan. Last time, it was difficult to set an appointment with you." Dilan pressed her lips together. She didn't like the woman's attitude but had a goal and would achieve it. But how to begin? Dilan started playing with her fingers, and Ms. Gözde took notice. "Are you nervous, Ms. Dilan? I remember someone that used to do that when she was nervous." Was she talking about her mother? "Really? Who? If you don't mind me asking." Zeynep entered with the coffee. The woman took it from her and drank. Dilan thought she was not going to answer her, but she did. "My sister." There was sadness in her voice. Maybe the best way to start the conversation was by showing her the pendant. She went to her desk and searched her purse until she found it. She came back. Ms. Gözde's attention was elsewhere. Dilan placed her half of the pendant on the table between them.

The woman's eyes went to the piece and expanded in disbelief. Her hand was on her chest. She was touching something through her blouse. "Where did you get that?" Dilan tried to be as calm as possible, although she felt her heart would jump out of her. "My mother." Silenced followed her words. Ms. Gözde's gaze was fixed on Dilan. It was a while before she spoke. "What do you mean, your mother? That is not possible. This is an exclusive peace; no one has it except for me and..." Dilan finished it for her. "Your sister, Ipek." Ms. Gözde was stunned. She seemed to have difficulties digesting Dilan's words. "Impossible. My sister... my sister only had one child, and she died years ago." Incredulity turned to rage. Ms. Gözde got up and confronted Dilan. "Who gave this to you? Who? What kind of game is this?" Dilan stood up. "There is no game. My adoptive father gave me this pendant before I got married. At the time, I thought it came from my adoptive mother, but it didn't. It was with me when I came to them..." Dilan still struggled with that truth. "I recently learned myself. The Demir adopted me. I was given to them by Mr. Hikmet after my mother's passing." She got closer. Her eyes filled with hatred. "Hikmet? You know him?" Dilan remained calm despite Ms. Gözde's attitude. She kept her voice leveled as she resummed. "Hikmet was in jail for killing my husband's mother. A crime he did not commit. But he received the punishment in exchange for my care... I wanted to meet with him. I already suspected you were related to my mother. We know your father commissioned the necklace, among other things... I confronted him, and he had no choice but to tell me the truth."

Baran entered his room at the mansion, tired. He expected this blow from his uncle. Yet, expecting something and experiencing it were two different things. During the council meeting, he struggled not to hit the man. But he remained composed, mainly because of Dilan. Whatever he said, whatever he did could affect her and her family. He was aware that his wife loved her father and siblings despite everything. She would not want any harm to come to them. He could not judge her for it. That was his Dilan. The woman he fell in love with had a big and beautiful heart. Always ready to believe in others, understand, accept, and forgive. But mostly, she was willing to love. Baran knew he would never be like her. He could forgive, eventually. But to forget was more difficult. However, being around her balanced him. She completed what he lacked, and he hoped he was the same for her. He sat on the couch and closed his eyes. Baran had no strength to change clothing. He would rest until Dilan came back. It felt strange to be in the house without her. The room felt too big when she was not around. He didn't like the feeling. He took out his phone to call her. She didn't pick up. But Baran heard her ringtone. "Baran!" She said as she entered the room. "Are you okay? What happened? Did the council reach a decision?" He extended his hand to her. She came and took it. "What is it, Baran? Tell me." She was eager to know, and he was keen to hold her. "Come." She sat next to him. He leaned back and rested half his body on her chest. She wrapped her arm around his shoulder and began brushing his hair with her fingers. She kissed his temple and rested her head against him. He felt instantly peaceful. She was his home.