25

Nova Solana Carter

"My parents should be pulling up shortly" Ramirah told me as we sat in the parking lot of this brunch restaurant.

We are meeting her parents who flew in town for graduation tomorrow of course. We of course, had just got back in town our damn selves yesterday so it had been a little hectic but we were making it work. My family wasn't coming down until later day.

The whole group decided to just do a joint graduation party at a venue to eliminate missing out on each other's celebrations which I thought was a good idea and that was happening tomorrow night after graduation.

"You nervous?" I grabbed her hand and she nodded her head making me laugh.

"Why?"

"Because nobody's ever met my parents, my parents can be a little weird sometimes too" She stressed and I shrugged.

"I'm not worried, I'm a likeable person. You like me" I teased and she rolled her eyes.

"I'm being serious" She cut her eyes at me and folded her arms across her chest.

"Me too. Girl relax! Your parents gonna love me." I told her pecking her lips earning a small nod from her.

"They're here" she mumbled and we got out the car and headed for the restaurant.

We approached a booth where a woman who looked like an older version of Ramirah was sitting with a bald black man. That explains a lot of the spoiled behavior,tbh. Her dad is bald?

"My baby girl is graduating!!!" Her mom squealed hugging her tightly making me smile as well.

"Mama, I can't breathe" Ramirah laughed.

"Hey princess"her dad pulled her in for a hug and kissed her forehead as well.

"Hey Daddy!" She said kissing his cheek.

"This is my girlfriend Nova"She motioned towards me.

"It's nice to meet you baby, im Ramirah's mama Cynthia and this is her dad Daniel." Her mom spoke and I nodded as she pulled me in for a hug.

I think it's safe to assume that her mom is a hugger. Her dad just extended his hand and I shook it, awkwardly.?..? I think..Or not?

We all sat down in the booth and I took my seat next to Ramirah of course while I browsed over the menu.

"You gonna order a drink or something" She asked me and I shrugged.

"I'm not sure yet? Are you?" I asked still looking at the menu.

"Yeah. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get the bottomless mimosas" she said making me eye her.

"What?" she frowned but I said nothing I just shook my head.

She knows how she be acting off the mimosas, she gone drink 3 mimosas and then try to sit on my face in these people restaurant with her parents across from us.

The waitress came back and took our orders. I got a Strawberry Margarita, Ramirah and her Mom got bottomless and her dad got a beer.

I don't remember everybody's food orders.

"So Nova, What'd you get your degree in?" Ramirah's dad asked me, as I took a sip of my margarita.

"As of tomorrow I'll have a Bachelors of Business Administration in Entrepreneurship" I told him and her parents smiled.

"Sounds fancy" her mom joked making me laugh.

"It's honestly just a bunch of words to mean business owner"I simplified the terminology causing them to nod.

"So you plan on owning a business?" Her dad questioned and I shook my head yes finishing my marg.

"Dad, is this an interrogation?" Ramirah asked refilling her glass. Making me wonder which number was that for her, I should have been counting. We still have to see my family later on.

"Baby it's fine, relax" I laughed placing my hand on her thigh.

"Yeah, relax" Her dad looked at her.

"I do plan on owning more businesses, I have one now. I sell clothing right now. It's pretty easy I just thrift flip. Find clothing at thrift shops and flip it at a higher price. But now that I'm out of school I'm about to get into real estate, most likely airbnb or a concept studio" I told him.

"Well sounds like you have a pretty good plan for yourself. I like that, a lot. Now as for my daughter. I'm sure you know by now she's pretty spoiled" He laughed and I nodded.

"Actually, it took some convincing for her to allow me to even start buying her stuff. We're getting to that understanding now though" I looked at her and she mushed my head playfully.

"That's really surprising actually. But I ask because, I'm sure y'all are thinking of living together right?" He asked and I nodded my head yes, pretty sure I knew where the conversation was headed.

"And what did you have in mind for that as far as how y'all's household was gonna be ran? Of course if you don't mind me asking." He continued.

"Dad" Ramirah gave her dad a look.

"It's up to your daughter, Ramirah knows I have no problem completely taking care of her and the bills. I'm sure that's not going to be the dynamic though because she never lets me. If she wants to split 50/50 or 60/40 that's fine too.It's whatever she wants, that's what I'm here for ..to give her whatever she wants. So if she wants to work then she can work if she doesn't then she won't. Whatever Ramirah wants Ramirah gets" I explained hoping that it made sense to them how it made sense to me.

"I don't need anybody to take care of me Dad, I'm about to make money as well. I don't have to live off of anybody." Ramirah rolled her eyes.

"I just want my little girl to be taken care of that's all" he threw his hands up in defense.

"And it looks like that's exactly what Ms.Nova is doing babe, didn't you hear her? Whatever Ramirah wants Ramirah gets? " Ramirah's mom chimed in teasingly, picking up her glass to cheers with Ramirah.

"Have y'all found a place yet?" Her mom changed the subject from me to a more neutral topic as I waved over the waitress to get me another margarita.

"Not yet, we haven't even started looking yet" Ramirah answered.

"Are y'all staying in New York or going some place else?" Her dad questioned and I shrugged.

"Questions that really need answers, probably up to Ramirah as well. I can work from anywhere. I'm following her" I stated.

"I don't know, I haven't thought about it yet. I'm still focused on the NCLEX. One thing at a time please people!" She put her hand up chugging the mimosa.

"You'll pass the test baby don't worry, you'll be fine! And then I'll tell the whole world my woman is a nurse" I smiled making her blush.

"Aww y'all are sooo cuteee" her mom said smiling at us making her blush even more.

"What time do you parents land?"Ramirah asked me laying her head on my shoulder and I checked my phone.

"My mama said they land at 6:30 so I think we'll do dinner at like 8? What you think?" I asked her and she nodded.

"Yea that sounds cool, gives me time for a nap" She responded with her eyes closed.

"Looks like those mimosas caught up to them" her dad said motioning to her mom who's eyes were closed as well making me laugh.

"I guess so huh" I looked at Ramirah who was snuggled up to my chest.

Guess she found a bottom in the mimosas.