three

To Lorelai Gilmore, it was no secret that her little sister was more loved than she. She didn't mind, though. She knew that at least her mom wouldn't be pining over the loss of Lorelai when she had Sarah. Sarah was only 7 when Lorelai moved out, young enough to not fully grasp what was happening around her.

They never really had the chance to know one another, that was until Lorelai went to her parents for money, to put Rory through Chilton. When the Friday night dinners started, thats when Lorelai really started to know her sister. And they quickly became the best of friends.

Emily wasn't annoyed that her daughters were friends, not one bit. She always wanted them to be best friends, like sisters should. But she was annoyed that Lorelai was willing to get on with anyone but her. Why was it that Lorelai had to make things so much harder between them. If they could just get on, like Sarah and Emily did, everything would be okay.

Well, Lorelai was, in fact, finding it much easier to get on with her mother since her little sister had moved back home. Something had changed in Emily. She wasn't so angry or resentful anymore. She seemed to be full of love and pride for all of her girls, Lorelai included.

Lorelai wondered if it was because she was being included in this pregnancy. Because she was needed by one of her daughters. She thought about it for a while, and she wished so badly that she could've had what Sarah and Emily have now. It just wasn't right back then. But things seemed to be changing in a positive light. Both Emily and Sarah seemed genuinely happy - which, from what her father had told her, was a big change from the weeks prior.

"So, Sarah. How did the obstetrician go today?" Lorelai asks as she, Luke, and Rory join the family for the usual Friday night dinner. "Mom tells me you saw the doctor that brought us earthside," she says, and Emily rolls her eyes.

"I did," she grins. "The baby is healthy, good size, and apparently I'm doing good too," Sarah smiles. "I finally feel like I have something to look forward to, you know? I was too scared to make myself an appointment, so I lied and said I'd been going. I know that could've been bad for the baby, but I just couldn't face it. I'm glad mom knew when to step in, " she says, smiling at Emily.

"I know when I'm needed," Emily says, sliding her spoon into her mouth.

"So, Luke, any thoughts on franchising the diner yet?" Richard asks, looking at his future son-in-law. To him, Luke would never be right for his daughter, but he made her happy - so as long as his girls were happy, as was he.

"Uh, Richard, ya know, I still haven't really given it much thought," Luke says, rubbing his palms on his pant leg. "It just doesn't seem right for me, I like my diner as it is," he says, and Richard nods, knowing not to push it again.

"Lorelai, how is the inn coming along?" He asks, and she nods.

"Same old same old, dad," she says. "Let's just say you wouldn't like what you saw if you came back again. I still conduct my business just the same as I did before you lectured me."

"Very well," Richard says, looking at Emily.

"I was thinking of throwing Sarah a gender reveal party!" Emily adds, changing the subject.

"Good subject change, Grandma," Rory smirks.

"Well, they seem to be all the rage these days, and the doctor already knows what the baby is, so why not?" She smiles. "I was thinking two weeks on Saturday, will you all be able to make it?" She asks, looking around the table.

"For you, sis, anything." Lorelai grins at her little sister, and Sarah giggles.

"I'm excited!" The tall brunette says. The Gilmore girls had all inherited Richard's long legs, and next to Emily, they all looked giant.

~

Two weeks later, they are all gathered in Gilmore's backyard. Emily has outdone herself. She always decorates beautifully, but this time, even Lorelai is taken aback by the beauty of it all. It is more than likely because it isn't her usual big extravaganza.

It's simple and elegant, and it looks like everything Sarah actually wanted. "Mom!" Lorelai waves at her mother, who is standing under a gazebo, pink and blue ribbons tied all around the legs of the white tent and the same coloured balloons dotted all around the garden.

"This is beautiful," she says as she approaches her mother, shocked as she is pulled into a hug.

"Thank you, Lorelai." Emily smiles proudly. "I love the dress," she compliments her eldests pink, knee-length summer dress. "I'm guessing you're team pink," she smirks.

"Hi Luke, Rory," she says, hugging them both, and Luke looks just as puzzled as Lorelai as he is embraced but the woman that usually despises him.

"Grandma, have you been drinking?" Rory teases. "You're very buzzed."

"Oh nonsense!" Emily waves Rory's comment off with her hand. "I'm just excited, that's all. I've never been able to plan something like this before, and I'm just looking forward to it!" She says.

"Ah, Rory!" Richard bellows as he wanders over, Martini's in hand. "Lorelai, Luke. Thank you for coming, " he says. Richard is dressed down, for probably the first time in Lorelai's life she is staring at her father, and he is wearing shorts and a short sleeved, blue hawaiian shirt.

"Dad. What are you wearing?" Lorelai asks with a laugh, and he smiles proudly at his outfit.

"Sarah wanted casual dress, no suits. She specifically asked your mother to write that on the invites, and as it's a lovely hot day and I think I am getting a grandson, I decided to wear my only blue summer clothing. And I have to say, I am very comfortable indeed, " Richard grins.

"You look great, Grandpa." Rory smiles, hugging him.

"Hey guys!" Sarah grins, wandering over with a lemonade in her hand. "You all look great," she says, hugging them all. Her white, flowy lace dress blows in the gentle breeze, and Lorelai can't help but smile at her sister.

"Sarah, you're the most beautiful expectant mother ever," she says. "I can't wait to be an auntie."