Chapter 1

"Mari!"

"Coming Pa!"

Maridine patted the head of a kitten she had been playing with and stood up to answer her father's call.

"Here"

Her father turned to look at her.

"What are you doing here!?"

She blinked. "What?"

"You are supposed to be helping cook up the samin and werfir for the festival this evening."

"But I'm not sixteen yet, pa? They only allow kamas, pa."

"Tell them you are."

"No pa. They've raised me since my birth, they'll know."

Maridine sighed and picked up a lone flower growing in the grass.

Her father pouted. "At least go help with the decorations."

"Yes, pa." She groaned inwardly. Couldn't she just enjoy a day without class and the market? She just had to do something productive with her time. Waving her grandad, she set off on the trail towards the town.

                                            ........................

"Hey! Mari! " A high pitched voice called out to her. She turned to see her bestfriend, Camirella.

"Hi." Mari smiled and waved. Camirella stood on the otherside of the street, her long white dress gathering dust as she moved.

Camirella immediately started running up to Mari, ignoring the flow of cars. Angry drivers honked and yelled as Camirella giggled, holding her dress as she ran.

Once she hit the pavement, she laughed heartily till her eyes filled with tears.

Mari just chuckled and smiled. "You are one reckless girl, Rella."

Rella smiled and got up from the floor, brushing the dust off her dress.

"Are you going to help with the food?" Mari asked.

"No. I hate cooking."

"Understandable." Mari shrugged. "Pa says I should help with the decorations."

"Oh come on! Don't tell me you're actually going to help decorate."

Mari shrugged again.

"I've got something better to do!" Rella grinned and pulled Mari across the street. Mari's eyes widened as a car narrowly missed them. The driver turned and yelled obscenities at the two teenagers before crashing into a lampstand.

"Rella! That was dangerous!" Mari doubted Rella heard her.

They ran for a long time through dark, winding paths. Just as Mari's legs were about to crumble to dust, they stopped. She collapsed unto the ground, her legs aching.

"Where...are...we!?" Mari asked between gasps.

"My favourite place!"

Mari looked up to see a what looked like a make shift water slide, leading into a deep creek. There was a tire swing hanging from a tree nearby and a small, run down shed. Four boys in boxers, slid down the makeshift water slide.

One of the boys gave came over. Rella grinned uncontrollably as pink tainted her cheeks.

"Hey." The boy said. His black hair plastered to his face and his blue eyes stared right into Rella's. He gave her a peck and she giggled.

"AYE, CAMI!!" Another boy by the creek shouted. "WHO'S YOUR FRIEND!?"

Rella glanced at him and rolled her eyes. "No need to shout Conner! Ask her yourself."

"AYE, CARROT HEAD!! WHAT'S YOUR NAME??"

Mari gritted her teeth.

"Answer him Mari." Rella urged.

"It's Maridine." She mumbled.

"SPEAK LOUDER, CARROT HEAD!!" The obnoxious guy yelled again.

Mari immediately turned. "I'm going back to help with the preparations."

"Nooo!!" Rella held unto her. "SHUT UP CONNER!!"

Conner just turned and began to talking to the other boys.

"Please, Mari." Rella pleaded. "Stay."

Mari nodded begrudgingly.

"Yay!" Rella pulled her into a hug.

"But I'll be leaving soon." Mari said.

"Sure." Rella pulled away and shrugged. Then she dragged Mari toward the creek.

                                            .................................

The sky was tinted with orange and blue hues, signalling sunset.

"We have to go now." Mari told Rella. She glanced up and nodded.

They both stood up to put on thier clothes, as they were only dressed in thier wet undergarments. Once they were done, they waved goodbye to the boys, who decided to stay.

Conner came forward, a stupid grin on his face. He inched closer to Mari, with a wierd look. Out of no where, he grabbed her waist.

Mari landed and slap in his cheek and pushed him to the ground.

He lunged back up and punched her, really hard. Blood oozed from her mouth as her head spun.

Rella gasped and tried to pull Connor away to no avail.

"Know your place, kesè!"

Suddenly, she felt her hand heat up. Why her hand of all places? As she lifted her head, her hand lit aflame. Anger corsed through her veins as she directed it at Conner.

She had no control of her body anymore. A flame, very bright and hot shot out of her hand, blasting Connor to the ground.

She heaved as she prepared to shoot another one at him. As she raised her hand once more, she felt a sharp pain at the back of her head, then all went black.

Key words.
Samin - A peppery soup made with chicken and goat meat.
Werfir - small balls made from flour, salt, oats and pieces of meat. Commonly eaten with Samin.
Kama - a girl over the age of 16.
Kesè - a derogatory word for young girls with small breasts and buttocks.

Hi Shards! Author here. Sorry if it feels rushed. I accidentally published it while trying to save it. If you enjoy the story so far, give it a vote. Thanks! See you in the next chapter!