Chapter 1- The breath of Warsaw

The carriage creaked along the bumpy streets of Warsaw, while the wind carried with it the taste of the new life that was about to begin. Clara watched the landscape pass by the window, the low buildings and winding alleys that seemed to hold ancient secrets within their walls, echoing with the din of everyday life. It was a strange feeling, that of leaving the comforting familiarity of Germany to enter unknown lands, but the girl knew she had to accept the change with courage and determination. If she had to paint her first impressions of that city she had never been to, she would have represented it as a mosaic of contrasts, a kaleidoscope of intertwined lives that reflected the tumultuous history that was about to crash upon all the citizens. Precisely in those streets, Clara began to hope that her life would not change so much.Beside her, her mother watched the view with an expression of mixed excitement and apprehension, while her father, sitting across from them, discussed directions with the driver. Liesel, the older sister, stood aside, her gaze lost in thoughts that linked her to her official boyfriend, Klaus, who was already waiting for her in the city. Clara broke away for a moment from the gaze that kept her anchored to the window in the same way as when, as a child, she anxiously awaited the arrival of the snow while looking out the large window in the dining room.-"Look, Liesel" - she said excitedly, shaking the leg of her sister sitting in front of her -"Don't you think there's almost an air of poetry in the air? It's so different from Hamburg. I wouldn't have imagined that Warsaw would be like this."-Liesel didn't look away or move. "Mh"- she sighed, still lost in her thoughts. -"It's as if every stone has a story to tell. It's such a different city from our home."- She didn't really care where she would be, but with whom. She had spent the last period counting first the months, then the weeks and finally the minutes that separated her from hugging her Klaus again. They had met as little more than children and from that moment they had promised each other that one day, what would bind them, would no longer be the expectation of a meeting, but a home and a family together.-"I wonder what secrets are hidden behind those ancient walls. I can't wait to get off this carriage and see our new home. Our new rooms. We will have a room all to ourselves, Liesel" - Clara continued. He couldn't understand how reality was so different from how he imagined it. Liesel did not share the same enthusiasm: the girl's excessive pragmatism, combined with her strong devotion to her homeland, did not allow her to see the world in the same way as her sister. He looked at her, without letting any emotion show. -"I just hope we adapt quickly. I can't afford to get distracted right now when I'm so close to having a future with Klaus. A real future, not like the one described in your companion novels."- He turned his gaze towards the window again, and sighed. -"You are still too young, Clara."--" Klaus... I still can't believe I'm getting married to you. It will be strange to see you wearing a wedding dress."- The carriage jolted, dropping the book the girl was holding on her legs. Her father had told her that once they arrived, she would not attend school, but her education would be entrusted solely to a tutor who would give her a good education. Liesel bent to pick up the Parsi papers under their feet, then smiled. -"It's strange for me too, but it's our destiny. We are women, our role is also that of being wives. It is an unwritten rule, which you understand only when you feel connected to another person.Clara closed the book and snorted - "I don't want to follow the rules, I want to live my life the way I want it. I can't help but want something more out of life. I don't want to be just the wife of a German officer, following my husband like all the women in our family. I want to be free to choose. I want to be a lawyer, Liesel."-Finally, the carriage stopped in front of a large brick house, with tall windows that let in the sunlight. It was here that the family would settle, in this new land that they would call home from then on.Clara felt disorientated as she crossed the threshold of her new home, her footsteps echoing in the silent corridor as she ventured into the unfamiliar rooms. His bedroom, with its bare walls and freshly made bed, seemed strangely empty, lacking the warmth and familiarity of his childhood room that he had always shared with his sister. Suddenly, the excitement of that new life seemed to be missing from her too.The next few days were a whirlwind of new emotions and adjustments. Contrary to what she had thought during the journey, she almost never moved from her house, which seemed different every day and with a new ravine to explore. She had never known the feeling of loneliness and, for a moment, it was easier for her to understand her sister's state of mind during her last period in Hamburg, when Klaus had been transferred and she was left alone with her scores. It was with the private tutor, Mr. Kowalski, that Clara found an anchor in that foreign land. With his kindness and patience, Mr. Kowalski taught her not only grammar and history, but also the heart and soul of Polish culture. He was born and raised in a wealthy, artistic family and, once he left the professorship, he occasionally accepted students who continued their studies privately."Language is the key to understanding a people," he told her one day, while showing her ancient maps of the city. "And Warsaw is full of stories and traditions waiting to be discovered." The teacher understood what not even Clara could express at that moment: she needed someone to encourage her not to fear loneliness.The girl listened attentively, absorbing every word avidly as Mr. Kowalski told her about the city's glorious past, its battles and its victories. It was as if each lesson was a journey through time, an opportunity for Clara to immerse herself in the very fabric of the history that surrounded the city. He anxiously awaited the professor's arrival every day, so that he could continue dreaming thanks to the stories they analyzed together.
-"How did the last lesson go?" -asked Mr. Kowalski as he placed the books in his dark, time-worn leather satchel. It had been a gift from his students in the last year of his teaching, and from that moment on, he always carried it with him, together with the memory of his years among the children to whom he had taught and transmitted his passion for art and history."-Pretty good, thank you,"- Clara replied.Mr. Kowalski nodded. -"I'm always very happy to hear you say that. Now, let's get to the point. I have prepared some homework for you to do over the Christmas holidays."-The girl nodded, ready to face any challenge she was given. She was always happy and extremely curious to discover the new tasks she was assigned.The professor handed her a sheet of paper with a list of tasks written on it. -"First of all, I would like you to continue practicing Polish. It is important to maintain and improve your language skills." - Clara nodded, making a mental note to dedicate time every day to studying the language, since she did not speak to anyone other than her family."-Secondly,"- continued Mr. Kowalski, "-I would like you to read Tolstoy's 'Anna Karenina.' It's a long and challenging novel, but I'm sure you'll be able to enjoy it. And finally, I would like you to start exploring music. I've already spoken to your sister, she'll help you out during the holidays. When we start lessons again, twice a week I will be joined by an old student of mine, who studied music." - Clara nodded, feeling encouraged by Mr. Kowalski's words. "I will do my best." Mr. Kowalski smiled. -"I know you can do it, Clara. If you need help with anything, don't hesitate to ask. Good work."-The girl thanked her and, after saying goodbye to the teacher, ran towards the door of her house with a heart full of excitement and a hint of anxiety, feelings that seemed to take her back to when she lived in Hamburg. It was the first time she ventured alone through the streets of Warsaw. The city streets were a tangle of winding alleys and ancient buildings, and Clara felt as if she were walking through a magical labyrinth, where every corner hid a new discovery. Suddenly she remembered the moment when, two months earlier, she had arrived in a carriage with her family. Following Mr. Kowalski's directions, Clara walked along the crowded streets, looking with curiosity at the windows of the small shops and the cafes crowded with people. She didn't notice too many differences with her hometown, but the more she walked, the more she realized that something about her was changing. She had never gone out alone and, that moment of her own, confirmed it to her step by step. Finally, after a bit of wandering through the streets, he found himself in front of a small cobbled street, with a row of ancient houses lining up along both sides. According to the professor's instructions, she must have arrived at her destination. With his heart beating fast, partly from the fear of getting lost and partly from the happiness of finally being there, he approached the door of the bookshop. The exterior was modest but charming, with windows adorned with white curtains and pots of colorful flowers decorating the windowsills. Clara hesitated for a moment, feeling the excitement and curiosity pulsing inside her as she prepared to enter. With a deep breath, he pushed open the door and stepped into the library. The interior was a riot of colors and smells, with shelves full of books climbing to the ceiling and the soft sound of the pages of books opened on a small inlaid table turning through filled the air. For a moment she had the impression of having entered another world, a place where time stopped and stories came to life between the pages of novels. Clara approached the counter with an uncertain but determined step, her heart beating loudly in her chest. The man behind the counter, tall and slender with green eyes shining with curiosity, looked up from the book he was reading and smiled kindly when he saw her approach.-"Can I help you?"- he asked, his voice soft and a welcoming smile.Clara felt slightly embarrassed, but tried to hide her uncertainty behind a smile. -"Ja, bitte."- The boy looked at her curiously, and the girl's face immediately turned purple. Embarrassed, he began speaking in German, his native language. He immediately remembered Kowalski's words, "I'm sure you can do it." It was the right opportunity to speak Polish. -"I'm looking for some classic novels for a school assignment, and also some musical scores."-The man nodded, his eyes bright with interest as he listened to Clara's requests. -"I'm sure I can help you with both. What novels are you looking for?"-The girl hesitated for a moment, trying to remember the list her teacher had given her. -"Well, I have to find 'Anna Karenina' by Tolstoy and 'The Young Holden' by Salinger."- The man smiled and headed towards one of the far shelves, returning shortly after with both books in hand. He handed them to Clara gently. -"Here you are. I hope you like them."-She thanked him with a grateful smile, taking the books in her hands carefully. Then, remembering the other reason why she had come to the bookshop, she asked: -"What about the musical scores?"-The man lit up with a smile again. -"Ah, this is my field too. I'm a musician. What kind of music do you play?"-At his words, Clara suddenly felt intrigued.-"Really? What instrument do you play?"- he almost shouted, putting aside the embarrassment he felt just before and switching to tu, spontaneously.The boy laughed slightly. -"I play the violin. He is my great love. I believe the only one."-She smiled, struck by the passion in the man's expression. -"My father plays the violin."- he said, with a slight embarrassed smile. She remembered when, as a child, he always played something for her before falling asleep. Behind the military austerity, he hid a great soul. -"My sister, on the other hand, plays the piano. I...I don't know where to start."- He then admitted.He nodded. -"I have just what you need."- He walked away for a moment and returned with a stack of sheet music in his hands, which he placed delicately on the counter. -"I hope there is something that will interest you"- Clara looked through the scores, surprised to find a large selection of classical and contemporary pieces. -"They are perfect, thank you very much."-As she was about to ask how much she had to pay, the man took the initiative: -"I can offer you a discount"- The girl felt surprised and grateful for his kindness. -"Thank you, it's really kind of you"-The man smiled again, his eyes shining with warmth. -"Do not mention it. Hope to see you here again soon."-Clara nodded, suddenly feeling attracted to this unknown musician in the dusty library. As she left the bookshop with the books and scores in her hand, she realized that that first meeting had shaken something inside her, something that she couldn't yet understand but that she knew would be important for her future.