Chapter 7

Tabitha

I knew Grace was tired of listening to me about Evie by her exasperated sighs that would escape every now and then. To be honest, Grace wasn't safe around me either, but I fought every day to keep the killer in me at bay. It was my basic instinct to kill, but a tiny part of me still remembered what it was like to be human. 

I grabbed a blood bag for breakfast to help with the cravings while I was at school around everyone, especially Blake. Deep down, I knew I wouldn't hurt him, but I still didn't trust myself around him either. I don't know what I'd ever do if I lost control and attacked him. I closed my eyes at the image that flashed in my head. 

"Grace, I'm leaving for school. Please be careful around Evie," I shouted, opening the door. I paused for a response, but I got none in return. I closed the door behind me and headed for my car in the driveway. I stopped a few feet in front of it, assessing its bright candy-apple red color and realizing it wasn't the typical car a teenager would be driving. It screamed money. I had to devise an elaborate lie about how I could drive something this expensive. I could stick with the same cliche story that my parents left me money when they died. 

I clicked the unlock button on my key fob and opened the driver's side door. Right as I got in the car, I realized I had an empty blood bag clutched in my hand. I got out, and as fast as the wind moved to the trash can. I forgot to make sure no one was around and glanced to my left and then right to make sure our neighbors hadn't seen anything. I had to make a mental note to watch my movements when outside where curious eyes could see. I glanced again in all directions, then slid down into my car. 

Sophie was leaning against the back of her car when I drove past, parking a few spots over. By the time I opened the door, Sophie was walking up. "I'm so glad you're here," she beamed, shoveling her phone into her book bag. I was afraid you weren't going to show up."

She wouldn't be so happy to see me if she knew the real truth about me. She wouldn't be the only one not happy to see me. "Oh..." I smiled, grabbing my book bag from my car. 

"I overheard Blake asking about you." She wiggled her eyebrow, smiling. "He's got it for you bad. You're so lucky. He's one of the hottest guys in school." She sighed, smiling with a dreamy look in her eyes. "I'd give anything to have a guy look at me the way he looks at you." She grasped her book bag straps and sighed again. 

"He doesn't look at me any certain way." I tried to play off her comment. I perused the parking lot, then caught up to her in one swift movement. "I'm sure guys look at you like that, too. Maybe they do it when you aren't noticing." I shrugged, smiling. 

"Not likely." 

"You're too hard on yourself. You're gorgeous." I nudged her with my elbow, trying to keep from sending her flying across the parking lot. 

"Thanks, Tabitha. Come on before we're late for class." She motioned her head toward the school. She picked up the pace a little faster, but it was still super slow for me. 

I glanced around, trying to listen for Blake's voice, but with so many kids around, I was having a hard time hearing it in the mix of everyone. Blocking out other conversations and concentrating on one took years to master. There was no manual for when I became a vampire or anyone to teach me the right way to be one either. It has been a learn-as-you-go kinda thing, and unfortunately, I made mistakes that cost innocent people their lives. 

"Aww..." My eyes flashed straight ahead to the corner of the school when I heard Evie's voice. I picked up my pace just enough to be a few strides ahead of Sophie without leaving her too far behind. "What are you doing here?" I asked, keeping my eyes on Evie as she watched people walk past her. 

"I wanted to check out your new school. He looks delicious." Her eyes followed a tall, dark-headed guy. 

"Don't even think about it!" I hissed through gritted teeth. 

"Why should you care?" She stepped away, moving toward us. "Hi, I'm Evie, Tabitha's older sister." She glanced around me back at Sophie. 

"Hi. I didn't know you had a sister. I'm Sophie. I should get to my locker. I'll see you in class, Tabitha." She walked past me, and I moved, trying to block her from Evie. 

"Okay, I'll see you in there." 

"I'd be careful of her." Evie motioned her head over her shoulder. "She's not your friend. I can't believe you didn't pick up on it. Wow...your senses have weakened since you've stopped feeding on fresh blood." 

"Shh!" I held my finger up to my mouth. 

"Stop. No one can hear us." Evie rolled her eyes, stepping in a little closer. "Listen to me carefully. She's not your friend. She can kill you with one bite." She stepped back. "You don't want to be late for class, and I've got...well, you know." She smirked and walked off. 

I stood there for a second, staring down at my shadow on the sidewalk, trying to figure out what Evie meant about Sophie. I shook my head and walked to the doors, so I wasn't late for History class. 

I closed my locker and saw Mr. Austin's dark blonde hair as he turned the corner at the end of the hall, and I knew he was headed for the classroom. I scanned the hall and noticed that it was pretty much empty. I took off running in the opposite direction, knowing no one would see me but would feel a weird breeze as I blew past them. They would be too busy turning in all directions, wondering where it came to notice anything. I stopped and turned the corner with the doorway a couple of feet away. A few feet from the door was Mr. Austin walking, glancing down at his phone and sipping his coffee. 

"Tabitha, you're almost late to class." Mr. Austin glanced up from his phone. He stopped walking, motioning his hand that held his phone toward the classroom. I was relieved that he was allowing me to walk in before him. I didn't really want to use mind compulsion on him. Just because I had that cool gift didn't mean I had the right to use it all the time. I smiled and walked into the classroom. My eyes locked on Blake sitting at his desk, talking to the guy with blonde hair beside him. The guy with blonde hair caught my gaze and nodded, causing Blake to turn around. Blake's blue eyes pierced right through me, making me wish I was still human. I wouldn't have to worry about controlling my lust for blood, ripping his head off in a moment of weakness. I could be like any other girl, enjoying his attention instead of always being on guard. 

He smiled, and I could smile back for once, forgetting that I was a vampire. Then, Evie's voice echoed in my head about being careful around Sophie. My smile disappeared as my eyes flashed to Sophie, looking down at her phone. I moved closer to my seat, keeping my eyes on her. She glanced up from her phone; our eyes met; she smiled, then glanced down at her phone again. I stood there frozen, a few steps from our desks, staring at her, wondering if what I saw was real or if Evie was playing tricks with my mind. 

"Tabitha, take your seat so we can start class. Thank you." Mr. Austin said, walking into class. 

I glanced over my shoulder. "Sorry." I hurried to my desk and peeked over at Sophie, trying to see if her eyes were a golden Amber color or dark brown. And if her eyes turned an Amber color, Evie was right. Sophie wasn't a friend at all.