Chapter 5: Paper Hearts And Confessions

"Remember that she could hear us, so you have to pretend that everything's fine. Okay?" He turned to whisper one last time, a hand covering the flames of the candles to stop them from flickering.

The day had finally come. To Wooyoung, it both felt like it was too soon and too late at the same time.

His last day with Charlotte.

It was April , and for this special occasion, he had asked Seonghwa and Hongjoong and Charlottes cousin Chaewon to visit just so they could celebrate her birthday together. The two males were nowhere near as close to Charlotte as he was, but they were also the only ones aside from him that can be considered his friends. Her cousin was one of her favorite people as well, she enjoyed her company as the only friend she had that was a girl in her family

"Okay," the other three responded in unison, nodding. Next to them, San offered a small smile before sliding the room door open.

Like a mask, a bright smile immediately slipped onto his face—although he knew the girl wouldn't see it either way, his lips still curled up in a way that didn't reach his eyes. It had somewhat become natural to him after all these years, so it wasn't that difficult a feat. What he didn't disclose, was that the smile was to fool himself more than it was to fool her.

Following closely behind, the couple and the other two both took that as their cue to begin singing a very loud, unsynchronised version of 'Happy Birthday'. With San quietly mumbling along, they all clapped as Wooyoung rounded the bed to go to Chatlottes side. In his mind, he tried to imagine the look of surprise and bliss that would have marred the younger's face right now if she was able to express it. He'd imagined the younger's eyes lighting up and her cheeks pink; like that breezy autumn night underneath the maple tree. The thought eased him.

"Happy birthday, to you!" They finished, wrapping it up with another round of uneven applause. On the pulled out food tray, Wooyoung put down the velvet-flavored cake—he remembered to get her favorite.

Well, it wasn't like she would be able to taste it—or see it, as a matter of fact. But it was the thought that counted, right?

Dread began to sink into the pit of his stomach as he looked at Charlotte. This would be the last day he was able to sit by her side like this; the last time he'd ever see her lay on that bed.

The last time he'd ever see her again.

As selfishly as he could form a thought, Wooyoung just wanted to freeze this moment in his head; capturing the image of the only girl he's ever looked at in front of him and burying it into the deepest crevice of his brain, and probably the only one he would ever look at. Until the end of forever.

I guess this is as long as forever could be.

"Chocolate, you've got visitors." He announced, trying to keep his tone as light as he could. Behind him, the addressed three stepped closer. "Hi, Charlotte." They spoke simultaneously.

"You recognise that? That's Hongjoong and Seonghwa and Chaewon. Those two I told you I'd drag them to see you one day. They're so in love, it's gross." He joked, which resulted in a light giggle from Hongjoong and a tiny punch to his shoulder from Seonghwa. "Noo , we got you some birthday gifts!" Chirped the youngest before she gently laid the said gift onto the other females lap. It was a bouquet filled with baby's breaths and red asters, neatly wrapped in lilac linen paper.

"They got you a bouquet of red aster, how thoughtful." Wooyoung spoke, positioning the younger's arms so that she was now holding onto the bouquet with both hands.

"Don't look at me with that face, come on now. My presence itself is already your gift. What more can you ask for?" He lightly teased, a half-smile on his face as he reached up to stroke the girls hair. "Sannie has something for you as well."