CHAPTER SEVEN

I didn't know what to expect once we docked the sailboat in Valletta. 

Artemisia had yet to reveal her cards, but she clearly had some type of plan figured out. After a secretive phone call, she had us wait inside the cabin of the sailboat until a vintage Rolls Royce rolled up right to the dock. A slender man in a full suit stepped out to open the doors for us, not flinching at the sight of my bloody blouse or the soiled wrinkled state of any of us for that matter. In just a few minutes, we had left the charming streets of Valletta and were cruising along the rolling hills to the Maltese countryside.

At some point I had fallen asleep next to Desirae in the backseat. I woke to her stirring against me. "We're here," she whispered. "Stay sharp."

I lifted my head from her arm, ready to apologize for likely drooling on her, but as soon as the driver opened the door she slid out over the red leather seats to get away from me. Quickly, I scooped up my tattered heels from the floor of the car and slipped them onto my feet.

Through an arched arbor covered in pink roses, a cobbled walkway bordered by lush palms and spilling urns led to what looked to be an eighteenth century stone mansion. Turquoise windows and shutters accented the facade in typical Mediterranean style. Artemisia glanced back at me briefly, hesitating for just a moment, before stepping up to the massive double door.

As she went to clasp the knocker, the turquoise door opened and a woman with a blonde pixie cut stood in the dark doorway.

Whatever uncertainty I had noticed, Artemisia wiped it from her face to greet the woman with the typical two cheek kiss. But as she pulled away, the woman's lip curled with a subtle snarl disguised behind a smile.

"I am so sorry you had to wait at the port, Artemisia, but we weren't expecting you tonight," she said coolly, swiping her finger over a tablet in her hand. "We would have sent Ganni to meet you sooner if we had known."

"It was a last minute trip," Artemisia replied with an airy but dry tone to match. "We decided to be spontaneous."

"Yes, I see. However, your membership expired several months ago after a hiccup with the payment. We sent notice, but I do believe you were away."

In a prison cell, she meant.

The muscles in Artemisia's jaw popped as she smiled harder. "I am sure if I explained my situation to Lucia she would understand. She is here, yes?"

As Artemisia took a bold step inside, the woman gripped her arm to stop her. "You've been a loyal member of the club for several years. Perhaps we forego the application renewal process so long as you pay the new membership dues. Your friends however, will need to be vetted first and upon approval may return for next week's event. I'm sure you understand."

"And I am sure Lucia would love to meet my friend Desirae Udekwu, a Nigerian princess, who is only in town for a few nights."

I caught an eye roll from Desirae, but she kept quiet and pressed her lips to a firm smile.

The woman looked her over, then tapped fervently at her tablet. "And the other?" She glanced up from the screen and nodded towards me. "Why is she covered in blood?"

"She..." Artemisia twisted around to look back at me. "She is a chef. From farm to table. Slaughters the animals herself. And she'd love to help with dinner tonight."

The woman obviously wasn't buying any of it, but she kept up the aggressive hospitality with a smile. "How rustic-chic. We absolutely love the diverse backgrounds of our members. What is your name, darling?

I opened my mouth to tell her, but Artemisia cut me off. "Chiara Greco."

It was the identity Artemisia's father had given me on my most recent fake passport. I suppose it was the better option in case my red notice popped up.