The Dream

Emerging from the forest's edge, where trees give way to open skies, the sunlight intensifies. It's not blinding, but it's noticeably brighter, as if the world has been illuminated by a colossal lamp. The towering trees are now behind me, replaced by waist-high grass that sways gently and wildflowers that sprinkle the meadow with bursts of color. A gentle breeze wafts through, carrying a fragrance reminiscent of confectionery delights. The air is alive with the melodies of birds and the soft rustling of small creatures darting through the tall grass. I pause, eyes closed, face upturned, basking in what can only be described as pure bliss, a serene peace. Yet, there's an undercurrent of disquiet in my mind. Ignoring the unease, I resume my walk, hands outstretched, caressing the grass and blooms, their combined fragrances conjuring images of a confectioner's shop. A sudden thought halts me: this feels familiar. But no, that can't be, such a place would surely be easy to remember. Dismissing the notion, I press on, enveloped by the meadow's sweet embrace.

I stop in the center of the grassy meadow, stunned by what I see. I came here looking for peace and solitude but instead I find this large beast. Not far from me stands a large white wolf; not your ordinary wolf, that would be scary enough by itself. This wolf seems to be three times the size of a normal wolf. Its fur seems to glisten in the sunlight. And even though I should probably be afraid, I feel a peace wash over me like a wave. I've seen this guy before. But no, that's impossible. Such large beasts don't exist, and if they did, I would remember such an encounter. But the feeling that I somehow know him persists, refusing to be ignored.

"Don't be afraid." The wolf says. Even though I hear the words, his mouth never opens.

How did he do that? Did he somehow project those words to my mind? "I'm not afraid."

"You must find me, Rayanna. I need your help."

Why do these words feel familiar? As if I heard him speak them, before? The voice reminds me of another wolf. "Why do you need my help? A creature of your size and strength should be able to defend itself against anything."

"I am being hunted. You must find me."

"Well, where are you?"

"I'm hiding. If I were to reveal my exact location, I would be discovered and executed in a matter of hours."

His vague answers infuriate me. "Then, how will I find you? The universe is a big place, and you could be anywhere."

A black fog begins to swirl around the feet of the white wolf. It slowly grows larger, and thicker until I can no longer see him. What's happening? I take a step back, confused.

"Rayanna, you must be quick! The enemy is closing in! If you..." his voice fades out. The fog grows so thick that I begin to cough and choke. I back up even more, attempting to find some clean air. Suddenly, as if an invisible wind picks up, the black fog starts to thin until it's gone. Panic seizes me as I realize the white wolf has vanished, and has been replaced by a menacing black counterpart, its eyes a fierce red glow. It growls, revealing a snarl of razor-sharp teeth, saliva glistening as it drips from them.

"I'm on my way, Rayanna." It says in a menacing voice. Like the white wolf, the voice doesn't seem to come from the creature's mouth, instead it seems to be projected directly to my mind.

"Who are you?" I boldly ask, even though I feel as fearful as a child who is afraid of the dark.

"You will find out soon enough. While you hunt for the white wolf, I am hunting you." The black wolf takes a step towards me.

"No! Leave me alone!" I shout, holding my ground. I will not budge for this beast.

"I will overtake you and destroy you!" It ends the sentence with a sound that can only be described as half bark and half growl.