Late Night

"Alright, I'll see you later Jack. Come on Les." Davey said, putting his hand out for Les to hold.

"Bye Jack! Goodnight everyone!" Les said, waving to the newsies and grabbing ahold of Davey's hand happily.

"Yeah yeah, I'll see you two same time tomorrow!" Jack waved back, along with the other newsies, as the two walked back to their home. It was starting to get dark. Davey was thrilled that they were finally able to go home. He loved the newsies as much as he loved his family but they could be a handful sometimes. Les swung both of their arms excitedly as he rambled on about a girl he met while he was selling. Davey smiled and listened to his younger brother's story. 

Davey was ok at selling papers but Les was amazing! 'Younger sells more papers.' Jack had once said and boy, was that true! Les would get people buying papers before he even said a single headline. Davey was a bit jealous but he knew all the money both of them made went to helping their father.

A few minutes later the boys arrived at their house. Davey knocked on the door, letting go of Les's hand. A few seconds later their mother appeared at the door, letting them both inside. The two boys walked in and took off their shoes and news-bags, placing them in a closet. They both sat down at the dinner table as their mother closed the door and placed dinner in front of the two brothers.

The two started to eat. Davey politely and Les impatiently. "How was selling today?" Their mother asked, washing the dishes their father and she had used. "Good." Les said just like when he got home from school. That felt like so long ago. Davey would be a month into his second semester in his junior year probably looking for a date to the valentines day dance. Les on the other hand would be in the fourth grade. 

"It was a little better than yesterday. A few gooder-BETTER" He corrected himself. "headlines." Wow, the newsies language was really rubbing off on him. His mother shook her head with a smile as Davey finished his food and collected Les's and his dishes, bringing them to the sink. He started washing them. He hated the 'rule' that women had to do the housework so he helped out his mother whenever he got the chance.

"I can see that those newsboys are having an effect on you." His father chuckled, walking into the room with his crutches. Davey turned around and looked at his father's boot. "How are ya doin pa?" Les said, bouncing up and walking over to their father. Their father chuckled at Les's newly found accent and patted him on the head. "I'm doing great Lesser." He said. Lesser had always been Les's nickname.

"Actually I go by Pip now! Pip Squeak, nice ta meet'cha." Les said, holding a hand out to their father. "We are not calling you that." Davey laughed, eyeing Les. Their father shook Les's hand and sat down. "Well it's nice meeting you, Pip." Their father chuckled, messing up Les's hair.

Les smiled, turning to Davey who had just finished putting away the dishes "Not you guys too." Davey joked, sitting down on the couch in the living room with the others.

"So boys, your father has some amazing news!" Their mother chimed in, sitting next to her older son. "Oh yes." Their father smiled. "Ooh, ooh! What is it?" Les asked excitedly, sitting at the edge of his chair. "As you boys know, when I was helping unload a delivery truck at work two heavy wagon wheels fell out of the truck and landed straight on my left tibia and fibula, breaking both of the bones..." he said, lightly shaking his left leg that was in a boot.

"Yeah, now get to the point!" Les said impatiently. His father eyed him and continued. "I have been in a boot for around six months now so, this friday I get my boot off. My leg is healed!" He father smiled excitedly. "Really?!? Oh my gosh! Yay!" Les cheered along with the rest of the family (besides one), standing up on the table and jumping up and down. 

Davey stayed silent. He had a concerned look on his face. He stayed staring at the floor, on the couch, watching nothing. "W-what?" Davey asked, looking up at his father. "Isn't that amazing!" His mother cheered, placing an arm on her husband's shoulder. Sure it was great news about his father but Davey was a few realizations ahead of Les. If their father was healed he would be able to go back to work. Davey and Les wouldn't need to be newsies anymore. They'd have to go back to...school. 

"What's wrong?" His mother asked, looking at Davey. "I'm just processing this great news." He lied, faking a smile. That was good enough for everyone else! The other three got up and celebrated, popping open a bottle of sparkling juice. 

Davey stayed in the same place throughout the whole night as the others celebrated. 

"Hey, I'm feeling a little tired so I'm going to head to bed. " Davey said, finally standing up. "Alright hun! We'll talk more in the morning!" His mother said. "Goodnight son!" Davey's father said excitedly. "Goodnight. See you in the morning Les." Davey said, waving goodnight to his brother.

"Night Davey!" 

Davey walked out of the living room and into his bedroom. He threw his newsboy hat (That he had previously gotten as a gift from the newsies, showing that they saw him as one of them now) to the edge of his bed before taking his vest and tie off and putting them in his hamper. He sat down on his bed and put his head in his hands, thinking. 

After a few minutes past he got up and took his shirt and pants off replacing them with a pair of sweats and a big T-shirt. He got up and walked into the bathroom. He brushed his teeth and washed his face. This time he used cold water, trying to release his worries about having to say goodbye to the newsies rather than to just wash his face.

He went back into his room and closed the door. He picked up his cap and looked at it, feeling guilty for something he hadn't even done yet. Les hadn't realized yet, still downstairs with his parents, dancing to music that lightly played in the background. He set his newsboy hat on his dresser and got into bed. He had been through so much with these boys. 

He closed his eyes, trying to sleep. His body couldn't settle down enough to so he laid awake, staring at the ceiling, trying to grasp ahold of this new responsibility.

He heard his parents tuck Les in at about 11:00. Davey watched the time tick by minute by minute. 'That's how you win it' he thought to himself, trying to lighten his thoughts only to be greeted with more sadness. It was around 4:00 in the morning when Davey finally got to sleep.

Word count: 1221 words

(A/N: I'm so happy with how this first chapter turned out! I feel bad for doing this to Davey but I'll make him feel better soon. I just realized how long of a chapter this is! Sorry if that was an inconvenience! I'll see you guys in the next chapter! Lots of love,                                           💖✨Lovesthedrama1✨💖)