Chapter Eight

Kendall

I wish I had the ability to time travel. I'd love to venture into the future, and ask myself if this is yet another stupid decision. I seem to be making a lot of them, but when River asked me to sleep over, I went with my gut. I like being around him, but why does he want my company? What's his endgame?

Off the cusp of a toxic relationship, I've become suspicious of men.

"Why are you hanging out with me?" I blurt.

River freezes, his hand stilling on my leg. We're seated on the red velour sofa in his living area. The movie has just ended, the pizza box is empty, and I'm clasping a glass of wine. I'm propped against the arm of the couch, my legs in River's lap. He's been absentmindedly massaging my sore muscle, watching the credits roll. His touch feels natural—blissful, even—but I'm wondering if this is what friends do. Apart from ballet, I've never had a male friend.

He glances down at his hand, resuming the kneading

He glances down at his hand, resuming the kneading. "I'm sorry?"

"I've deduced that you're a loner," I explain, taking a sip of my drink. It gives me time to consider my next few sentences. "I'm just wondering why you're spending time with me. If it's for sex, I'd prefer if you were up front about it."

"This..." He chuckles, canting his head in my direction. He wears a sardonic smile, like he's in disbelief. "This is why I'm fond of your company."

I wait for him to elaborate.

"You're a walking contradiction, Kendall." He analyzes me with appreciation, flicking his lip ring. "You're comfortable talking directly about sex, but blush when you make an innuendo in casual conversation. You drink matcha tea, then devour half a pizza for dinner." I look at the empty takeout box, stained with grease. "Your appearance is always put together, yet you hide blisters and calluses inside close-toed shoes." River taps my big toe, unbothered by the state of my feet. If I took off my sox around Raphael, he'd grimace. "I think you're interesting, and I like being near you."

I like being near you. It's an unembellished compliment, but I think it's one of the best I've ever been given. To be wanted simply for my company. Outside my family, that's rare.

"We're both fire signs," I inform him, poking the center of his palm with my toe. He wraps his finger around it, pulling until the joint pops. I breathe a sigh of relief. He could be a physical therapist in another life. "This will be an interesting friendship."

"Astrology, huh?" he muses, his smile omnipresent. "What's your sign?"

"Aries," I reply.

"Same. What's your birthday?"

"The twenty-first."

He furrows his brow, hesitating for a moment. "Of March?"

"Mhmm," I confirm.