8. the scary cyclopes monsters

❦︎

❦︎

Of all the places to crash, the toilets are the last place Thèrèse and Leo wished Festus would landed on. A dozen of the blue plastic boxes had been set up in the factory yard, and Festus had been flattened on. Thèrèse slumped her arms to her sides, staring as if she's giving up on life and rethinking her whole existence.

Fortunately, they hadn't been used in a long time, and the fireball from the crash incinerated most of the contents; but still, there were some pretty gross chemicals leaking out of the wreckage. Both of them had to pick their way through and try not to breath through their nose. Heavy snow was coming down, but the dragon's hide was still steaming hot.

"Stay here. I'll go." Leo said, before climbing over Festus' inanimate body. Thèrèse didn't mind staying back, she could be a watch-out for anything dangerous. She could see Leo's getting irritated.

"What is it? What happened?" She asked.

Leo shrugs, letting out a noise of irritation. "Nothing seemed broken. It looks perfectly fine. There was no reason it should have stopped." He said and opened the control panel on the dragon's head. "Oh, Festus, what the heck?" His heart sank.

"What's wrong?" She added, tilting her head.

"The wiring had frozen over. It caused the wire to overload and char the control disk." Leo's face immediately expressed surprise when he found out what was wrong. His heart sank even deeper when he thought about the possibility that he was probably correct. "Oh man, it had been okay yesterday. I assume.. the flight was interrupted from that."

"You could still replace the wires, right?" She asked, looking up at him. That wasn't the problem, but the charred control disk was not good.

"I mean, it's definitely possible for me to replace the wires, but the real problem is that the control disk was actually charred. I'm not too sure if I'm going to be able to save that." Leo said, shaking his head in disappointment. The one piece of hardware Leo couldn't replace – and it was damaged, again.

"It's okay, you can do it. I know you can." Thèrèse said with a smile, putting her hand on his shoulder.

Leo was honestly surprised to see that Thèrèse had a lot more faith in him than he had in himself, despite the current situation. But he also had to admit that he liked it when she showed a bit of faith in him and his abilities. He immediately got butterflies in his stomach and felt really embarrassed and flustered.

"W-well, uh... Thanks," Leo said timidly.

Leo quickly took a deep breath, and went to ask for the nylon bristles detail brush, a pair of nitrile gloves, and a can of the aerosol cleaning solvent. He wasn't too sure if the aerosol cleaning solvent would even make a difference, but it was his best bet to try and clean up the control disk as much as he could.