3

3: Storm Brewing.

As Eleanor sat tied to the bow of the ship, the hours dragged on like an eternity. Though in reality, it had only been a few hours since she found herself bound against the elements. The chill of the sea air pierced through her clothes, sending shivers down her spine. With a heavy sigh, she gazed out at the ocean, her brow furrowing at the sight of looming gray clouds on the horizon. 

Her heart raced with apprehension at the thought of weathering a storm on the open ocean. The first drops of rain sent a shiver through her body, and she watched in dismay as the sky darkened and the sea grew increasingly turbulent. 

She just about started screaming when pellets of rain started beating down on her skin, she looked around the ship, spotting only one crew member at the wheel of the ship, and two up above her. 

Raindrops pelted her face harshly, finally emitting a yelp from her mouth. She began pleading with nobody as the cold bit her unprotected skin, and soon enough large waves threw themselves over to the side of the ship and right onto her body.

"Please." She continued pleading with air, giving up after all she received from the man at the wheel was an airy chuckle before he started yelling coordinates and other nonsense that Eleanor couldn't understand. More men flooded the deck as they made sure their ship stayed afloat.

As the storm raged on, Eleanor's body was battered by the relentless assault of wind and waves, her spirit nearly broken by the unrelenting fury of the sea. Bound to the bow of Henry's ship, she clung to consciousness with all her strength, her thoughts consumed by fear and despair.

Henry's crew continued to work tirelessly to navigate the treacherous waters, their faces grim with determination as they battled the elements. Among them were William, Henry's first mate, the man at the wheel, and a seasoned sailor whose loyalty to his captain was matched only by his fierce devotion to his crewmates.

Only minutes after he had laughed at the girl tied to the bow, had she begun slipping into a state of unconsciousness, and he couldn't deny that it worried him greatly.

"Captain, we can't keep her tied up like this any longer," William said, his voice urgent as he approached Henry on the deck.

Henry's brow furrowed with concern as he glanced back at Eleanor, her form battered and bruised by the storm. His eyes widened at the sight of her, it was true, she had been beaten to shreds by the salty ocean, and harsh rains. 

With a nod of agreement, Henry set to work untying Eleanor from the stern, his hands gentle yet firm as he worked to free her from her bonds. "Hang on, princess," he murmured, his voice barely audible above the roar of the storm. "We'll get you to safety soon enough."

As he lifted Eleanor into his arms, Henry felt a surge of protectiveness wash over him, he began to regret the decision he had once made to tie her to the bow and was slapping his past self in the face for even thinking the idea. "Hold on tight," he said, his voice steady as he carried her below deck to the warmth of the captain's quarters.

The air inside the cabin was thick with tension as Henry laid Eleanor down on the bed, her pale face illuminated by the soft glow of the lanterns. "You're safe now, princess," he said, his voice tinged with regret as he pushed the hair out of her soft face, "I'm sorry."

Eleanor's eyes fluttered open, her gaze meeting Henry's with a mixture of gratitude and confusion. "I'm sorry," she cried, her voice barely audible above the sound of the storm. "I'm sorry." She repeated, tears making their way down her face. He shook his head at her apologies, not understanding them.

"I should be the one saying sorry," the man said, eyebrows furrowed at the now-broken girl. "You didn't deserve that...not one bit." he pulled his thick flannel blanket over her shivering body, the sound of rain still hitting the roof, but this time it was calming. 

"I'll make you some tea." He says, frown still visible on his face, as he boils rainwater on the stove, he puts in loose leaves, making sure it's steeped enough. He quickly hands it to her pruned hands, and she thanks him quietly. She sips slowly from the tin mug and smiles at the warmth, it was like a taste of home. Henry couldn't shake the feeling of remorse that gnawed at his conscience. At that moment, amidst the howling winds and crashing waves, Henry vowed to do whatever it took to keep Eleanor safe, even if it meant risking everything he held dear.