22

Henri and Malik practically sprinted from Westminster School to the nearest tube station. The pair waded through the crowd of Londoners on their way to the train that would take them back to the neighborhood their hotel was in. The sun had set minutes ago, yet the station was still buzzing with chatter and people like an angered beehive.

That was the one thing he didn't miss about the city. That and the smell of the Thames.

An intercom announced a train heading southbound was arriving in the next few seconds. Once it did, Henri and Malik made their way onboard. The former couldn't help but check the time on the digital screens displaying the next stops. Meanwhile, Malik kept close to Henri with one hand gripping the metal bar overhead and the other jammed into his pocket.

Henri desperately wanted to get back to the hotel. But not because he wanted to sleep or pack what little things he had so they could head for Egypt. Well, that was part of it. What Malik said to him in the aftermath of his spat with Thea stuck with him.

He needed to apologize. He needed to let her know that she wasn't alone.

Thea was alone, though. A crushing sense of guilt pressed around him like the shoulders of his fellow train riders. While he was off playing detective, he'd left her behind. And for what? He frowned deeply.

Malik nudged him. "It'll be alright."

"Are you a telepath?"

He seemed to always know what Henri was thinking.

"Nah. Just very perceptive."

Chuckling, Henri simply nodded.

Their train finally arrived at their stop. The boys stepped onto the platform, ascended the stairs, and rushed back to their hotel. Within ten minutes of leaving the tube station, they arrived on the street of their destination. Cars lined the sidewalks on either side, with the occasional vehicle cruising down the narrow road. Most were regular sedans, but one SUV stood out to him. It was black like a wraith and way too nice to be in this part of town. All five of its windows were tinted darker than its paint job. Civilian vehicles weren't allowed that kind of tint.

Henri's footsteps faltered as he considered it.

"You okay?" Malik stopped as well.

"I'm...not sure."

He continued to watch the vehicle. It was parked across the street from the hotel, parallel to the entrance.

"Does that SUV look suspicious to you?'

Malik squinted at it. He rubbed his chin. "Er, not really, no."

Henri pursed his lips. The SUV didn't sport a license plate. Another red flag. He was compiling a list now. As he continued to examine the mysterious vehicle, his earlier meeting with Monet Delacroix popped into his head. She vowed to leave Henri and his companions alone, so long as they dropped their interest in the Library of Alexandria and rescuing his parents.

But they hadn't exactly done that. Quite the opposite, actually.

How would she know whether they heeded her wishes?

Henri's eyes widened. "They're watching us."

Malik lifted a brow at him. "You sure? I mean, it's just—"

"Trust me on this," he urged. His head was spinning now. "They're watching us. I know it. Earlier you asked if Monet really let us off the hook. I don't think she did. Not really, anyway. I think she's had her goons trailing us the moment we left that museum just in case we didn't hold up our end of the bargain."