Chapter One- New Beginnings

I run my finger along my hairline, and it comes away slick with sweat. It should be illegal for it to be this hot. It is Sunday... I think to myself as the clapping in my row quiets. Church is just ending, and even though it's boiling in here, I dread it. It's ten times worse outside, and Mama and I didn't drive today, since her car is still at the mechanic's workshop. We have to walk. Normally I wouldn't mind, but today it feels like we're partially in hell already.

Mama nudges me as the pastor calls for us to rise and pray. "Stop sulking abeg," she says. "You're not salt. You will not die." I frown. The analogy doesn't make much sense when it isn't raining. I guess she is saying my sweat will not melt me? People begin to drift out of their seats after we all say Amen. Mama clutches her purse and steps out of the row, and I follow behind her. Thank God I did not wear my school shoes like she wanted. Walking home would be even more of a nightmare in those.

"Mummy Adeola!" a voice calls. Mama turns and smiles as Aunty Titi approaches. Modupe waves at me, though her hands are full since she's practically carrying her brother. He gives her a good kick in the shin and she releases his collar. He disappears into the crowd. I stifle a laugh and she grits her teeth as her mother joins us.

"Happy Sunday," Mama says, waving her fan in front of her face. I have a mechanical one at home, but the power didn't come back last night, so I couldn't charge it. "Happy Sunday," Aunty Titi says, then turns to me. "Happy Sunday Aunty," I say before my mother can reprimand me. We begin to head for the doors as they talk, and I fall into step beside Modupe. "It feels like God is angry at us," she mutters as we step into the heat. I hate rainy season more than Harmattan, because the heat is everywhere; you can't escape. It sticks to you like glue to your skin. During school, my blouse has armpit stains before it's even lunch. I nod in agreement as Modupe's younger brother, Olu, appears.

He kicks me hard with his church shoes, and then goes to grab his mother's hand. Modupe mutters something unsavoury under her breath, but we're both too hot and bothered to do much fighting with him. We're in the car park now, and I brace myself for our walk, flexing my toes in my sandals.

"Join us." Aunty Titi says, and I perk up. Mama hesitates, and then nods. Aunty Titi leads us to the car. It's new; a silver Volkswagen with very shiny rims. Mama climbs into the passenger seat, and I open the left door. Olu climbs in before I can, planting himself firmly in the middle seat so he can separate Modupe and I. Modupe frowns, swings the right door open. She comes over to my side and climbs in, and bumps her brother into the next seat. His complaints are ignored as our mothers chat and I climb into the car, shutting the door behind me.

Aunty Titi puts on the car and the AC comes on. I press my face so close to it that the cold air hurts my nostrils. My mother's eyes meet mine in the mirror, and I sit with my back against my chair. My phone buzzes in my purse, but I don't pull it out and instead turn to listen to Modupe 's questions on our mathematics work tomorrow. "I wanted to cry on Friday," she says, pushing off Ola's legs as he tries to lie across her seat. "It was like I was reading rocket science."

We talk as Aunty Titi drives, and when I finally put my head up and glance out the window, I realize she isn't taking us home. I groan as the car jolts against a familiar porthole. We're going to the market.

It's too late to plead with Mama now, even though I would rather stand outside in the heat than go to the market right now. I put my face to the AC vent again, ignoring her stare. I need to catch all of the cold I can before we go out there.

"Mama, are we going to the market?" Modupe asks, realizing too. Her mother nods. "I need crayfish and egusi. Maybe okoro..." she trails off, muttering a list to herself. Modupe eyes me. "Mama, Femi's house is just that way. Can we go there so she can help us with homework while you shop?"