H I S  B E D R O O M

Sometimes it's hard to remember that the world doesn't stop for anyone. Even while I'm sat in this uncomfortable black chair awaiting my new social worker, who I now know as Raymond, to come back from calling my brothers.

I can't even believe I'm saying that.

I grew up believing that my mother only had two children; Elio and I. I never imagined that somewhere I'd have more. I never knew much about my family, though. My mom wasn't a secretive person, but she certainly didn't like to tell me about my biological family. Sometimes I would bring it up when I felt brave enough, but this usually meant I didn't get to eat for a while. She shut down every conversation regarding it, and so I stopped asking. But I never stopped wondering. Even when my heart chest for the love of a father, even when my heart shattered at the thought of having another sibling, even when my heart burst in happiness when I saw other kids with what I craved, I stopped asking because I would never get it anyways.

But I guess that was a lie.

My social worker finally comes out, a small smile on his face. He clasps his hands together and throws himself in the seat beside me, grimacing when the chair squeaks.

"How long have you been sitting here?" He questions, rolling his neck and groaning at the satisfying pops. I cringe but shrug. He looks at me and shakes his head. "They're terrible. Torture devices, I say." He laughs at his joke, and I give him a forced smile. He looks at me seriously, face turning stern all of a sudden. "Evie, you've been through some—pardon my language—real shit throughout the last two days. And, while I really don't want to make your situation any more confusing than it has to be, or more overwhelming even, I think it's important that we get you to a safe place as soon as possible." He looks into my eyes for my reaction, pausing his words when he travels his thoughts for the next thing to say. "How would you feel about living with your biological brothers? I was just on the phone with the eldest, Alessandro, and he would be pleased to have you stay with them. He's already agreed to take temporary guardianship over you. If you are like, dead set on not going with him, we can try to find another temporary placement. Hell, I can even buy you a bed and pillow and have you camp out here for a bit." He adds, trying to lighten the mood.

I stay silent, thinking about it for a moment. It's not like I actually have a choice, but I appreciate that he's trying to make me feel like I do. His eyes gloss over my face when I bite my lip, and he sends me an empathetic smile. I look over at him.

"Do I have a choice?" I ask, kicking my feet. He hesitates but shakes his head, and I slowly nod. "Thank you for being honest."

He walks away after I finally give him my answer--which didn't even matter since the decision was made for me anyway--and he walks off to deal with more legal stuff. I sat there and watched as everyone walked by me. Some smiled, some stared, some didn't even acknowledge me, but even so they were all in their own world. All dealing with their own stuff just like I was.

Raymond explained that while most of my furniture and belongings would have to stay and be put in a storage unit until I come of age and can decide what to do with it, since apparently it was all left to me, but I still had to grab what I wanted from the house. He also assured me that a lot of the mess was cleaned up from that night, and I could go straight up to my room if I felt like it. Or they would send somebody in for me. I chose the first option, because as hard as it may be, I wanted to say my goodbyes. I don't know what happened that night, I don't even think I want to know, but I did want Elio to know I wasn't leaving him there.

Later that day I found myself in front of my home with it staring back at me. There was police tape everywhere, and investigators too. I thought it was quite an overreaction, but I guess murder and drugs may induce some heavy investigation.