Chapter 1: A New Year's Eve dinner

Xuan Huaifeng raised his hands under his neck, gathered up his scarf, and hurried to the Tongren Guild Hall despite the snow.

This Spring Festival is colder than any other year.

When people walk on the road, the cold wind blows into the neck, and the air is sucked into the lungs, as if it will freeze. But it's cold and cold. After all, it's New Year's Eve. There are already children dressed like Zongzi running happily on the street, throwing crackling gun battles, and a few squatting in front of their homes to build snowmen, waiting for a year, the most sumptuous reunion dinner.

When passing an intersection, three or four little beggars in ragged clothes swarmed over and stretched out their hands towards him.

"Sir! Sir! Good luck for the new year! Give some money to make money!"

He took a dime from his arms and handed it to one of the thinnest-looking children. The voices of the beggars suddenly rang out,

"What about me? What about me?", came up one after another.

Xuan Huaifeng was taken aback. He didn't have any extra money to give, so he hurriedly held the book in his hand and ran away.

Back at the Tongren Guild Hall, I was sweating all over my body. Xuan Huaifeng exhaled, stepped into the old threshold that had been stepped on slightly, took off the long white scarf from his neck, tidied up the neckline, and then walked slowly.

The clerk in the clubhouse was passing by with hot water. When he saw it was him, he stopped and smiled at him,

"Mr. Xuan, is it you? Why are you so sweaty? I have hot water here, so I'll twist a towel for you to wipe."

He took off the white towel on his shoulders and swung in the hot water, "New towel, clean."

Xuan Huaifeng thanked him and took the towel.

"It's not walking, it's running."

He lightly wiped his face with a warm white towel, his movements carried an unusual elegance and good-looking, the young face was stained with a hint of red from the running just now, a little embarrassed.

Xuan Huaifeng explained,

"I gave a little beggar a dime on the road, and a group of people came up."

As soon as the man heard this, he shouted,

"Oh, you shouldn't give it! These days, beggars all over the street gave one, come with a hundred, no amount of money will be enough."

"There is a child who looks pitiful."

"There are so many poor people outside, who is not pitiful?"

The man looked at Xuan Huaifeng, he glanced at him and said honestly,

"Mr. Xuan, I'm a rude person and can't speak, so don't take offense if I say something wrong.  You're fine with everything, but you're too young and very kind. Help this student buy a pen today and give alms tomorrow. A beggar, I think you should take care of yourself first. If you have money, take care of your own food and accommodation first..."

"Oh! yes." Xuan Huaifeng put his hand into his arms,

"The school has paid salaries today, this month I'll pay the rent now, and next month's rent."

"Don't! I'm not chasing your rent."

The man waved his hand embarrassedly.

"What should be paid is still to be paid."

Xuan Huaifeng took out the envelope in his pocket, which contained the salary just paid by the school.

He is not a senior teacher, and his salary is not high. One month's salary, plus the make-up fee for making up for the 30th New Year's Eve, and the meager New Year's fee, there is only 23 yuan in the envelope.