Dark

She knew she was either dead or floating in between life and death. Renee woke up with a hollow in her heart and the stone clutched in her hand. She felt the surge of something dark within her, her need for seeking blood was immense.

'The stone is winning' she could hear her mother whisper. Fight it love... please come back to me' she could make out Damien's hoarse voice, soothing her.

Taking in her surroundings, she felt lost, surrounded by thick trees, the sky was overcast with dark clouds. Rain was threatening to spill from them any moment.

Feeling a sudden, stabbing pain in the palm that held the stone, she felt her self wince. Shaking off her palm, she shifted the stone to her other palm. 

Trying to find a way out of this haze, she started wandering around. She deciphered that this seemed to be the forest behind their pack house. The trees, the smell of the earth all seemed familiar. In the dark, she could see alone figure standing, surrounded by dark fumes. Before she could approach it, the figure glided towards her. She, somehow, wasn't shocked to see that, it was none other than Nathaniel. His being obliterated by the dark within him. He stood in front of her,  a withered shell of a man.

" So the angel now stands at the precipice of life and death. I never thought I'd see you here. The stone must be eating at your soul. Just like it did with me."

"What do you mean ? You wanted this power. Your craving not only ruined  your life but your family's, my family's life in this tryst." Renee asserted.

" It's a funny story darling. Since we have all the time in the world till you're stuck here, I might as well enlighten you. "

" Death hasn't downed your sarcasm. " Renee muttered.

" Very funny, love. " he said as he sat down in front of her, as if he knew he had no where to go and neither did she.

" I was your mother's best friend. Seen her when she was a wee little baby. Her mother was my mother's best friend too. But the times were tough. There was war everywhere. You name it , the angels, the demons, the werewolves, vampires all out to get each other's blood. And that is when our families got caught in the cross hairs. You see my father was the Alpha but his thirst of power made him insatiable. He pledged the sole of each first born son to the devil, in order to get what he wanted. Our souls forever caught within that stone.

And your mother, she was the angel. Her mother was one too, married to the beta. My  father took their lives, but couldn't find Alaena. She had vanished. So I spent all my life searching for her. She was the missing piece I always craved for. I found her first, I loved her first; but fate had a cruel plan in the form of your father. He was her true mate."

"You loved her first...." Renee repeated, not believing a word coming out of his mouth.

" Yes I did . I still do. But the love within me could not overcome the dark. You see He will rise. This stone is just the beginning. This war we have been fighting will soon end with his birth" ,he said in a trance, almost as he wasn't the one talking.

" Come, let me show you", he said , grabbing her hand.

She suddenly found herself in Damien's home. Their pack house, in the backyard,  children running, a barbecue  in the corner, the smell of meat and beer in the air. Her hand instinctively going to her belly, full with their child. She could hear her heartbeat, she knew it was a girl , a beautiful white angel just like her. Damien talking in the corner surrounded by his warriors, laughing , having fun. But the pit of her stomach had this dark feeling, this ominous feeling. Looking up at the sky, not a cloud in sight, but the air was damp, and suddenly it started to pour. All the kids start running in and the warriors start packing up the chairs and the barbecue. 

The party dampened by the rain. But she remained glued to the ground, still like the underlying silence amidst the patter of the rain. Suddenly, she could hear the birds chirping, signalling to her . The forest was dark and brooding , not the ever welcoming one. Walking a few steps closer to it and she could see movement at the edge of the trees. Scared, looking around her,  Damien calling out to her. But all she could look at, was the man walking towards them, walking towards her. But, what scared her the most is , the path the man had walked... whatever stood in that path between her and the man , the trees , the animal, the small insects, all lay dead as he took a step closer to her. He wasn't just the devil. He was death itself".