Chapter 2

"Your Majesty!" Sera's voice sliced through the queen's dreams like a sword, gently rousing her from her peaceful slumber. Waking the queen was like trying to convince a dragon to give up its hoard – a daunting task indeed.

"Ugh, leave me alone," the queen grumbled, clutching her pillow as if it were her last treasure. But Sera persisted, her urgency as persistent as a persistent salesperson trying to sell you something you don't need.

"Your Majesty, it's serious," Sera insisted, her tone a mixture of panic and determination. "We're talking end-of-the-world serious."

The queen groaned, pulling the covers over her head in a futile attempt to block out the impending doom. "Just give me five minutes... or ten," she pleaded, her voice muffled by the blankets.

"But Your Majesty, it's really, really bad," Sera persisted, her concern growing by the second. "Like, 'run-for-the-hills' bad."

Knowing she had to resort to drastic measures, Sera fetched a glass of water and poured it over the queen's head, eliciting a yelp of surprise from the drenched monarch.

"Sera, you're supposed to be my loyal subject, not my personal water assassin," the queen protested, glaring at her dripping attendant.

"It's ten o'clock, and something terrible has happened," Sera explained, her urgency undiminished by the queen's soggy state. "The only terrible thing happening right now is you ruining my beauty sleep," the queen retorted, attempting to salvage what was left of her dignity.

"Your Majesty, it's a declaration of war," Sera's voice cracked with concern, her words piercing through the queen's drowsy haze.

"From whom?" the queen replied casually, still trying to shake off the shock of being rudely awakened. She glanced down at her soaking nightgown, annoyance flickering in her eyes. "Did you really have to do that?"

"Because you're stubborn," Sera shot back, undeterred. "The king of the north has declared war on us."

The queen's frown deepened, her annoyance giving way to a sigh of resignation. "Kings," she muttered under her breath, shaking her head in exasperation.

With a sense of urgency, she leaped out of bed, her nightgown clinging to her like a wet blanket, and dashed out of the room without even bothering to change. After all, when war was at the gates, there was no time for proper attire.

The sound of her footsteps echoed through the hallway as she followed Sera to the front of the courtyard. The tension in the air was palpable, with every person present trembling with fear at the ominous warning of impending danger. Their terror manifested in the form of the severed head of one of the elders, impaled on a stick and placed prominently in the center of the courtyard.

As the queen arrived, she showed no sign of concern. With a calm demeanor, she strolled into the courtyard, her expression unreadable. To the casual observer, it might have seemed as though she encountered such gruesome displays every day. But those who knew her best understood the truth – the queen possessed special abilities that shielded her from the full brunt of her emotions, allowing her to maintain a composed facade even in the face of horror.

Despite the gravity of the situation, the queen's nonchalant attitude seemed to have a calming effect on those around her. With her presence alone, she conveyed a sense of assurance and strength, reassuring her subjects that they would face this threat and undeterred by fear or intimidation.

"I see," she said nonchalantly, her voice betraying no hint of surprise or alarm. With measured steps, she approached the gruesome display of the decapitated head, her gaze unwavering.