CHAPTER TWO: CLOUDY THOUGHTS

It didn't take long for Kai to speak to her.

If Vale remembers correctly, and it's been years since she watched the Ninjago pilots so chances are she doesn't, Wu told Kai that he was pretty much useless and could only save his sister if he trained to be a ninja. That was proven right by Wu swiftly and effortlessly beating Kai to the ground just a few minutes earlier. Kai then proceeded to rush back to his shop and quickly locked everything up. Or at least that's what Vale supposed he did. She was a little too focused on-

-SHE'S IN FUCKING LEGO NINJAGO-

-to pay attention to what he did.

Still is, kind of.

She's moving on instinct, not really seeing where she's going as much as just following the white of Wu's robes wherever they head. She wants nothing more than to lie down and cry and sleep until she wakes up on her bed with her alarm blaring, or maybe wake up after being caught in an impromptu nap by Hugo when she should be carving a Chajá. But she knows that won't happen. The Pink Horror is a thing that exists and she isn't real, nothing is, and she's in the world of Ninjago and everything looks like a cartoon and Jade might be dead and she probably kinda won't ever see her again, and it's all very ridiculous and illogical but it's true. It's so fucking true every single part of her hurts.

The ground swims under her feet, black fading at the edges of her vision. Her head pounds.

She keeps walking.

In the state she's in, the world is muffled. It's all a blur of color and sound, and she's pretty sure, as distant as the thought is, that the only reason she isn't lost is because Wu keeps turning around every few minutes to check on her.

Wu.

Master Wu.

From Lego Ninjago.

...

He's ahead of her, walking at a pace that is neither slow nor quick. At his side walks Kai, fucking Kai Smith, the fucking master of fire, what the fuck, who's making a lot of noise Vale can't listen to properly or even be half bothered to decipher. She thinks he's...fighting with him?

...yeah that's probably it. Kai was always angry, she thinks.

Then he turns around and points a finger straight at her.

"-and who the fuck are you?!"

Vale stares at him, unseeing.

He stares right back, fuming. He looks pretty comical.

A few seconds pass. Vale blinks. Kai sneers.

"What? Oni got your tongue?"

"...what?"

This results in more noise from Kai, but to her ears it's all blurred together. They stand there for a few seconds more, Kai speaking at a rapid pace, before Wu approaches. They start talking again, and little by little, Kai's voice seems to lose its edge. He's still annoyed, though, that much she can see from his animated, well, everything, and oh yeah right, he's fucking animated what the fuck is up with that-

Vale ignores the exasperated glances he sends her while they speak. Her mind has decided to latch onto Kai's voice.

She watched Ninjago, alright. But she watched it in its spanish dub. Kai's voice right now? Totally unrecognizable. But also kinda pleasant? She would have thought it was weird hearing him speak with a voice she didn't consider his own if it weren't for the fact that he wasn't a lego. The different animation style and skin colors really helped the unreality to set in.