The Inseparable Three

Cedrick is fast asleep on a small layered bed as he curls his feet inside the blanket. It's cold in the morning, the clouds are busy, and the wind is rushing through the air.

Aziz walked into a bedroom glaring at cozy Cedrick under the blanket. "Cedrick, the sun will set before you open those dumb eyes of yours." Aziz intruded into Cedrick's bedroom, breaking the silence. Cedrick lies asleep, refusing to acknowledge the impatient man. Aziz sat down on the bed. Aziz then grabbed the blanket over Cedrick's head before saying, "If you don't get up, I shall tell Sulha the gift you made for her birthday." He threatened. "You wouldn't dare." Cedrick rose and cried. Aziz chuckled. "Get up now. We wouldn't want Saha to be waiting for long."

Hikare: 9:00 AM. In a crowded street

Aziz wrapped his right arm around Cedrick's shoulder. "Are you still nervous about the gift? An embroidered bracelet with all of our initials. It is simply too beautiful to dislike. You even handmade it." Aziz reassured him. "You think so?" Cedrick questioned. You made her something practical and stunning. A beautiful and reusable healing wrap is a great gift. It even matches her bride katana." Cedrick expressed.

Aziz and Cedrick were in their small conversation, but it came to a halt when they heard insults from bystanders. It is common for the two to be the target of harsh rumors. The commoners disliked the two due to their relationship with the royalties. "How fortunate, unofficial servants of the princess, as if they aren't shamelessly leeching off her fortune. "A voice sounded from the crowd. "They are men with the pride of a dog. I would die if I were them." Another voice responded. Aziz's hand clenched into a tight fist. They have been able to ignore such rude comments about their pure friendship all this time, so there is no reason why they no longer can. Aziz swallowed his anger and continued walking.

As they continued their conversation, a group of prisoners were being dragged by the soldiers their way towards them, so they had to stop and make way. The conditions of the prisoners were terrifying. Cedrick swallowed in sorrow as he saw them struggling to stay conscious. The prisoners were restrained by iron cuffs around their napes as they were getting pulled by the soldiers like animals on a leash. They spotted Sulha in the crowd, watching the prisoners. Her eyes looked fearful. It is not surprising due to the dire conditions the prisoners were in. Blood was dripping from their nape, their bodies were bruised and bleeding, and the slashes on their shirt showed the excessive whipping they endured. There were women and children among the prisoners in the same condition. Those with a heart may not bear to watch the sight of their miseries.

Cedrick and Aziz walked towards Sulha and joined her as they ignored the displeasing eyes that shifted toward them. After the prisoners were long gone, the trio walked up the Moonlit Clift, a popular cliff for lantern festivals and moon watching. Before the cliff is a beautiful grass field where the trio grew up practicing sword fighting; they would often come here for picnics, long talks, or to escape their burdens at home. Cedrick would always be there for fighting sessions, although he could never learn the techniques. His uncle Baris explained that he was sickly and weak due to a genetic sickness from his mother. Therefore, he was never allowed to train in physical abilities except for obedience. He'd sometimes play with Aziz's sword for fun, but it was always too overwhelming for him.

They found a seat under a tree before they laid their back on the giant tree trunk. "The prisoners that we saw earlier. They are innocent." Sulha abruptly asserted. "What are you saying?" Cedrick asked, confused. Sulha looked into his eyes with an intense look of sadness on her face. "Yesterday night, I overheard Uncle Baris and father talking. I was curious, so I eavesdropped them. Uncle Baris was reasoning with my father to let the prisoners go as they were unlawfully captured and tortured for no rational reason. But, my father ridiculed Uncle Baris and told him to rid himself of such empathetic thoughts. He wants to interrogate the prisoners for any information he can get about Kingdom Sakemi, and said he wants to kill them all." Sulha worriedly exclaimed. "You must have heard it wrong. The king will not do such things without a reason," Aziz responded. Upon hearing his words, Sulha glanced at Aziz and shook her head before speaking, "How could that possibly be, Aziz? You know my dad as well as I do. He may be generous to us, but he's always been cruel to everyone else, even his most trusted servants and officials." Sulha argued. "I feel Sulha stands correct. It's unnecessary to torture foreigners for mere information. If he's interested, he can easily send spies to Sakemi and get as much information as he likes." Cedrick added to the conversation. Sulha nods her head in agreement. "I love father, but from what I have learned from my late mother, she will never let such a horrible thing happen. "I am planning to rescue the prisoners from the prison tomorrow night." Sulha jumped up and announced with a huge smile. Both Cedrick and Aziz were terrified at her announcement. "You're being foolish, Saha. You are not to involve yourself in government affairs. His Highness will never commit acts that are not beneficial to this country." Aziz argued with Sulha, although his words did not budge her decision. "Your father only has one wish for you, Saha" Aziz added as his eyes glanced away from her eyes. "Is that so, Aziz? would you mind telling me his wish? for me to be wedded to another man, give up my freedom and worship him, and become a birth instrument? Is that my purpose?" Sulha angrily uttered before she continued. "My decision has been made. I will give you time to think about yours," Sulha declared. 

To be continued. 

The next chapter is estimated to arrive on April 12, 2024

(Happy Eid Mubarak )

SYN1love