Chapter 18

Miranda-

I woke up and found myself on Asher's bed. For the first few seconds of my regained consciousness, I looked around the room apprehensively, my eyeballs moving around in their sockets. When I suspected that Asher wasn't in the room, I lifted my head and looked around to ensure that he was nowhere to be found. I gulped and straightened myself before holding on to my right temple, which was now being battered with a painful headache.

I noticed that Aunt May's food was still on the table, and when my vision took in the tall glass of apple juice, I gulped suddenly feeling very thirsty. I carefully got off the bed and headed to the chair closest to my breakfast. I ate my food but couldn't help it when my pupils looked around the room every once in a while. Aunt May knew me well enough to pack just enough food for me to clean out the plate. I downed the meal with my apple juice and enjoyed the cluster of washed grapes provided along with the meal.

Once that task was completed, I headed back to the bathroom. I pushed the door open and peaked my head in to ensure that there was nothing, or no one in particular, out of place. Once I was sure it was safe from any unexplainable sightings, I sighed and rushed inside, closing myself in. I headed to the shower, grateful for the warm bath following the night I had. Once I washed through my hair, and cleansed my skin and face, feeling refreshed, I grabbed the towel which I hung over the curtain's bar, and wrapped my form in it. Then I pulled the curtain aside, and once again, my heart pulsed to a stop, as if my soul had escaped my physical being.

Narrator-

"Hi there." The woman from earlier greeted Miranda.

Miranda shook her head and backed into the wall.

"Okay, we're not going to have a repeat of this morning. Let's just breathe. Well, you breathe." The ghost spoke.

Miranda gulped, her eyelids wide, but she pushed her nostrils to perform the mechanism necessary to allow air into her lungs.

"That's it. Let's take another breath." The ghost encouraged, breathing along with Miranda, although she was air herself.

Miranda nodded, and shut her eyelids then she breathed.

"Wh-what do you want?" Miranda dared to ask.

"I want to move on." The woman shrugged.

Miranda, who's back was still plastered to the wet ceramic shower wall, said nothing but kept staring with a wide gaze.

"But I can't do that until Asher falls in love again and lets me out of his heart so I can go." The ghost continued, then she smiled.

"Okay." Miranda squeaked in understanding.

"Ah-ah, you're not breathing." The ghost pointed.

"I'm not?" Miranda wondered, then released a painfully terrified chuckle.

"No. Now come on and step out of the bath, we can't have you catching a cold." The ghost urged.

"Uh huh." Miranda nodded again, her vision dotting with dark spots.

"Come on then." The ghost invited.

Miranda licked her lips and drew in a breath, only to release it just as quickly. But her limbs wouldn't move.

"You're not moving." The ghost said.

"You're not real." Miranda listed in return.

"I am, and I'm not going anywhere, so come on." The ghost called forth.

"Wh-what's your name?" Miranda gulped, then she carefully peeled her skin off the wall, and with trembling knees, stepped over the bath's edge and walked around the ghost's form.