Ch 11: The Heir of Sahar

Estefania de Sahar's entire body ached. Once she regained the ability to move, she wasn't sure how many hours had passed. She was no longer in the grand ballroom since someone had moved her frozen form into a small bed chamber and laid her across the bed.

When she rose from the mattress, the first thing she spotted was the wolf curled up at her feet. She vaguely remembered Nathaniel becoming a massive beast and being blasted by the fairy. He'd mentioned he was cursed, but she hadn't imagined anything like this.

"Nathaniel?" She asked.

The wolf opened his eyes and whined. She realized that she could still see Nathaniel's eyes in the wolf. He nuzzled her hand and whimpered.

"I'm sorry," she said. "You shouldn't have put yourself in danger."

"It was stupid," came a voice from the corner of the room.

Estefania startled. She looked up and saw Fletcher de Cyra sitting on a chaise longue in the corner of the room. She was so enthralled with the wolf that she hadn't even seen him sitting there.

It was odd to see a crown prince just sitting there. Had he been so worried about his future bride that he decided to wait in her room until she woke up?

"The ball started a quarter of an hour ago," he said. "I sent Lorenzo and Avangelique to watch for the fairy."

A shiver went down Estefania's spine. Her sister was looking for the evil fairy who'd destroyed both their families.

"So you were waiting for me to wake up?" Estefania asked.

"I thought it would be easier if Nathaniel weren't the only one here," Fletcher said. "After all, he's a wolf since he was so worried about you."

"Worried about me?" Estefania frowned.

"Nathaniel only transforms when an emotion completely overcomes him," Fletcher said. "He's gotten pretty good at controlling the shifts, too, but he lost it at the ball. He lost it because he cares about his sister and you."

Wryn was gone, and Estefania felt guilty about that. The fairy had taken the girl and her brother. She said she'd give them back if Estefania won their challenge. Unfortunately, she wasn't sure the fairy would honor their deal.

"How long will it take for him to transform back?" She asked.

"Not sure," Fletcher said. "He's pretty emotional right now. He cares a lot about you and wouldn't leave your side after the witch froze you."

"He's a good friend," Estefania said.

"It's not that," Fletcher said. "He's never acted this way. Nathaniel runs with his rangers, and he never lets anyone in. It only took a few looks between the two of you before I understood. My brother loves you, Estefania."

The wolf whimpered louder. She dug his fingers deeper into his fur. He whined, and his nose brushed against her side.

"He loves me?" Estefania looked at Nathaniel. "He shouldn't. You know I'm equally cursed."

"You know I studied your curse," Fletcher said. "The girl who only loves what is monstrous. If you love my brother, are you sure that makes you cursed?"

"Nathaniel isn't a monster," Estefania said.

"And your little sister has yet to face a curse worse than death," Fletcher said. "Maybe that fairy was just trying to scare you. Either way, I need to go to the ball."

He rose to his feet. Estefania noticed that he was still using his cane. Had he deliberated over killing his father?

"You didn't want to be there last night," she said. "Why the change of heart tonight?"