My Secret Beau

Wait, wait, WAIT!

I screamed and ran at the highest speed without care in the world. With every thrust on the ground, my entire body was quivering, and something heavy tightened my chest. My lips were trembling when ragged breathing was moving in and out of my mouth. Even my vision went blurry. I desperately wanted to stop.

WAIT, STOP!

I yelled at the top of my lungs, but my voice just crushed under the scratchy noise of the bus engine. Still, I ran and ran until my foot tripped into a freshly made puddle from the unconditional rain a few hours ago. I could feel my warm breath over my chest while I was hyperventilating. I was wearing an above-knee ruffled peasant dress, its flattering bottom prevented my legs from my sweating palms as it expanded below the thighs when I hopelessly held my knees in exhaustion.

The temperature was a little cool due to the earlier rain. While panting, I felt a few drops of sweat glide down the tip of my nose and across my lips before landing on the puddle. I was relieved, as I saw that my leather loafer's slaty top did not appear to be concerned, despite being completely soaked. I stood back to pursue the bus, but it had already vanished into the horizon, leaving only a pink pamphlet on the road. It was an advertisement for Valentine's Day specials.

Damn!

Frustrated, I stomped my foot into the puddle, causing the grimy water to splatter onto my other loafer. I stood motionless, uncertain of what to do. At last, I let out a deep breath in an attempt to compose myself and sort through my conflicting feelings. I realized it was futile to dwell on something that couldn't be undone. I lifted my arm to wipe my sniffing nose with a puff elbow-length sleeve. Then I retreated over the small bus shelter that I had left behind while tailgating that bus like a lunatic as if it were the only bus in the world. Well, It wasn't, but it was the last bus at this hour, and missing it meant I missed the most crucial meeting.  Nonetheless, something else bothered me more: not only had I missed that bus or that important appointment, but I had also missed the opportunity to meet my most cherished person, regardless of the circumstances. On top of that, another bus was scheduled to arrive three hours later. However, there was nothing in my hands to fix.

While traipsing along the walkway, I noticed my reflection in one of the mirror walls. I paused there for a moment and brushed my tousled hair. Gradually my hand rolled across my vacant neck. It reminded one of the incident. And, because I had so much time, I was promptly overwhelmed by the recollections.

It was around nine years ago, that I recalled a very special day. That day I woke up before dawn and got dressed up in formal attire, wearing my neck chain, That chain was adorned with a round white cheap stone, which I had purchased from a beach market last year. It wasn't very noteworthy or unique but it did appeal to me somehow.

I left home early to attend a job interview, as my friend and I had decided to apply at the same agency. I was joyfully going on my way to the subway station when I heard a loud bang and witnessed flames rising from an apartment close by. Fortunately, I was in a safe spot. In the meantime, I discovered a massive shattered part of a wall that was about to fall to the ground at any moment, but it wasn't my concern at all. However, what worried me more was that I spotted a fellow dressed in black standing by his bike, entirely oblivious to his misery. I cried out to alert him, nevertheless he did not pay attention. I saw some dust started falling. So I attempted to gesture my hands, but he failed to notice since he hatted on a helmet. Soon after, I heard a creaking sound, and more dust and concrete plummeted to the ground. That guy, on the other end, hadn't realized it was falling only a few meters away behind him. I hollered louder as I detected a few bricks crashing.

Other individuals soon followed me, but no one dared to get near him. On the contrary, that guy, Instead of fleeing, sat next to his bike and began adjusting something. Only God knows what that weko was doing. I couldn't beat to see it anymore. The amount of cement fragments and dust dropping increases, as does the cracking sound. Rather than thinking about anything, I dashed as fast as I could, grabbed that guy's arm, and jumped violently away from the building. As we sprang away, we crashed and rolled twice.