Chapter 6 Rumor has It

I had almost forgotten about the anxiety I felt after almost getting caught in a compromising position with Pierce two days ago. I thought there was nothing more to it when nothing happened... usually hot gossip had a way of coming out instantly. But things have a way of boomeranging back even after you've thrown it far away and stress knotted my guts into a pretzel the following day when the school newspaper came out.

Usually only the female population in our school bought it for the gossip column's latest, whether it was the digital copy online or the hard copy fresh off the press. But today I noticed more than a few guys handling the paper as well.

"What's going on? Did someone discover a two-headed dog or something?" I asked Jules skeptically as we walked to our lockers, seeing everyone glued to their newspapers.

"Not sure, but something in the gossip column today's got everybody drooling," Jules said pulling out her phone. "I haven't checked today's issue yet—oh!" I turned sharply at her gaze, inclining my head to her phone to see what caught her attention. On the top of the page in big black capital letters, one headline with an article below blared out, making me gasp.

HARTMAN'S MYSTERY GIRL

Pierce Hartman, our resident golden boy, was seen two days ago with a mysterious girl making out on the staircase in a way that should be censored at school. An anonymous tipper claims she saw them from a floor below but did not see who the special girl was. She was in the middle of taking a photo when they were alerted to her presence and she had to flee or risk getting caught. But we managed to get a picture of the scandalous scene. Questions arise: who is the lucky girl that Pierce Hartman is secretly dating and why hasn't he gone public about it? This story will be an exclusive feature with a follow-up for weeks to come. And if anyone has a clue to the identity of the mysterious girl in Pierce Hartman's life, we are dying to know. Drop a tip and be sure we'll maintain your anonymity. The bad news? Hartman might just be off the market. Sorry, girls.

I froze. My heart stopped beating and I was close to blacking out. I glanced at the telltale picture of Pierce, obviously leaning over someone who's face could not be seen from the staircase below. Unfortunately, the picture gave away one clue—the girl had dark brown hair. I swallowed feeling sick to my stomach. If Matteo even suspected it was me, my life was over! I'd lose him in a heartbeat!

"Damn, Hartman's got it going on! I had no idea he was a 'secret relationship' kind of guy," Jules said. She turned to me when I didn't answer.

"Thea, you okay? You look kinda pale," she said, giving me a confused look.

"I fon't deel—ahem, I gotta go..." I spoonerized in a stammer. I only do that when I'm seriously brain-jammed. I fled, leaving a confused Jules behind. I raced to the girls' bathroom, got into a stall, and sat down, pulling out my phone.

Pierce, we're in trouble, I texted. He took a minute to respond.

If this is about that article, relax. No one saw you. They're free to make crazy assumptions but they'll never find out it's you. I promise.

I can't relax! What if someone finds out it's me? Everyone knows I'm with Matteo! I'm going to look like a freaking two-timer!

Babycakes, I can assure you, NO ONE will find out it was you. Why the capital letters? What made him so sure?

Pierce, that picture of us is a dead giveaway. fifty percent of the girls in school have brown hair. It's not gonna take long to figure out that none of them were with you. Pierce texted back a long paragraph after me.

First, you're discounting the fact that desperate girls tend to lie to make it appear that they're in a relationship when they're not. I've been through this. Last year seventeen girls claimed I went out with them when I didn't. You have nothing to worry about. This will blow over when fifty or so girls come forward claiming to be the girl in the picture. Trust me. His confidence was unbelievable.