Chapter 26: Secret Revealed

A day after Penelope Featherington accepted Duke Thomas Debling's marriage proposal, the two were seen promenading on the garden maze. The couple were trailed few paces behind by the Bridgerton ladies, Violet and her daughter Eloise; ensuring propriety was upheld even in the midst of joyous anticipation after their public engagement.

The air was filled with a sense of newfound happiness, the sunlight filtering through the leaves casting dappled shadows on the path ahead. Penelope's laughter floated on the breeze, mingling with Thomas' soft words of affection as they exchanged tender glances.

Violet and Eloise, ever the vigilant chaperones, observed the couple with fond smiles, their hearts warmed by the sight of two souls united in love. They shared in the couple's joy, knowing that this union was destined to bring happiness and fulfillment to both Penelope and Thomas.

Lost in the moment, Thomas and Penelope exchanged tender words, their hearts entwined in the promise of a future together. Yet, amidst the sweetness of their conversation, a shadow of apprehension flickered Penelope's features, her steps faltering ever so lightly.

Sensing her unease, Thomas slowed his pace, his gaze softening with concern as he regarded her. "Is something troubling you, my love?" He inquired, his voice gentle yet tinged with a hint of worry.

Penelope hesitated for a moment, her heart pounding in her chest as she gathered the courage to speak. With a deep breath, she turned to face Thomas, her eyes filled with uncertainty.

"There is something I must tell you, your Grace." She began, her voice barely above a whisper. "Something that I fear may change everything between us."

Thomas Debling's brow furrowed in concern, his hand reaching out to gently grasp her. "Whatever it is, my love, you can trust me." The Duke of Northumberland reassured her, his voice filled with unwavering support.

With a trembling breath, Penelope took a moment to gather her thoughts before speaking. "I.. I am not who you think I am, Thomas." She confessed. Penelope's words were hesitant yet resolute. "There are secrets in my past, things that I have kept hidden from everyone out of fear of judgment."

Thomas listened in silence, his expression one of unwavering understanding. "Whatever it is Penelope, you need not face it alone." The duke vowed, his voice a steady anchor amidst the storm of her fears.
"We are betrothed now, to be wed soon, you and I, and nothing you could tell me would ever change the way I feel about you."

"I am Lady Whistledown. The anonymous gossip writer who has kept the ton in suspense with my scandalous revelations." Penelope Featherington confessed as her voice was trembling with emotion. She uttered her words as quietly as she could only for Thomas' ears to hear, making the two Bridgerton trailing behind them oblivious as to what they were talking about.

Thomas' eyes widened in surprise at her confession, but instead of shock or anger, a proud smile spread across his lips.

"I suspected as much. With your wit and intelligence, it seemed only fitting that you would be the one behind the pen of that smart writer." Duke Debling admitted with admiration. As he re-entered the society this year, he was able to come across a few issues of Whistledown's columns and truly, he was amazed on how the structure of the writing was. Whoever was behind that sheet sure is someone who is very capable and intelligent, he thought.

Penelope blinked in astonishment, her heart was swelling with relief at Thomas' understanding and acceptance.

"Are you not angry?" The redhead asked, her voice tinged with uncertainty.

Thomas shook his head, his gaze filled with unshakeable love and affection. "How could I be angry with you, Penelope? You are a remarkable woman, and I love you just the same, scandalous revelations and all."