i.

ᴅʀᴇᴀᴍ&ɴɪɢʜᴛᴍᴀʀᴇ.

Sunday, August 14, 2023

THE LINGERING SUMMER heat clung to the window glass radiating throughout my palms as it left faint imprints on the surface. The view from the window allowed me to see the world alive with the vibrant energy of the neighborhood youth. The little children played with an infectious enthusiasm that seemed to defy the oppressive August heat, their laughter mingling with the distant hum of cicadas. Each joyful shriek pierced through the thick veil of silence enveloping my mind, momentarily pulling me from the depths of my thoughts.

They darted through the streets, their bare feet kicking up tiny clouds of dust as they raced towards an open fire hydrant, its gushing sprays a welcome reprieve from the sweltering temperatures. Oblivious to the weight of the world, they reveled in the simple pleasure of the moment, their carefree abandon a stark contrast to the fictional storm clouds constantly hanging over my head. How can they be so carefree?

"Niccoya!"

I gasped slightly, trying to soothe my quickened heart rate as I was pulled back to the present. I turned towards the source, my gaze meeting hers as she regarded me with a mixture of sympathy and curiosity. Dr. Benson sat just a few feet away from where I stood, her expression a mix of concern and anticipation.

"Sorry, can you repeat that?" I asked.

Dr. Benson sighed, her expression softening as she leaned forward in her chair. "I asked how you were sleeping."

I exhale heavily through my nose as I shuffled towards the couch, the plush cushions offering a small measure of comfort as I sat down. "I got eight hours of sleep under my belt," I replied, my tone just barely hiding the dark humor.

"That's good. So the sleeping pills are working then?" Dr. Benson inquired, her pen poised over the notebook in her lap.

"I stopped taking them," I confessed, my fingers instinctively started twisting the silver ring on my index finger-a nervous habit I've yet to get rid of. "They gave me nightmares."