Chapter 1

It is the highest honor to be placed in solitary confinement. Usually, it means a life sentence, or rather, a death sentence. You'll lose your mind long before your body begins to die out.

No one makes it into solitary confinement without being recognized for one thing or another. Infamy is a slippery slope, but if you make it into solitary, it means you're a dangerous person. It means you've earned that title fair and square, and that if they ever let you out, you'd become a menace to society.

Of course, the system has been flawed since the founding of Spectre City, especially when it comes to protecting the precious public. Prisoners and pawns? We're the lowest of the low, and as far as anyone's concerned, we deserve to die.

The ground rumbles beneath my feet, shaking the metal box they'd locked me inside of. "Well, that's just rude," I grumble out loud, waiting to ensure the ground is steady again before continuing my evening stretches.

Clear skies are visible right outside my window, and I can see people flitting about in the distance like small mindless insects on to their next useless task. Idiot. Morons. Mindless and spineless creatures who wouldn't know right from wrong if it hit them in the face.

I immediately reach forward to shut my window after realizing it's just pissing me off. "Fucking sheep," I manage to mutter before another rumble, a closer rumble has me falling back on my ass. This time, it makes me angry because despite calling it 'solitary confinement,' there sure is a lot of not left alone being done here.

My reaction time is flawless. I bounce back up to my feet, and slam the palms of my hands onto the seamless metal door through which they slide in my meals three times a day. "Hey! Keep it down out there, will-"

I know I said that last word, but I can't hear it. Instead, I hear the rumble before I feel it, and my body slams against the left wall of my cell. The blast was quicker than my reaction that time, and my ears ring so loudly, it's the only pain I feel for a few moments. My head reels as I try to figure out what in the hell just happened.

Dust is floating around in the air when I gather the courage to open my eyes, but I don't dare to believe what I see before me.

Half of my metal, impossible-to-ever-break-out-of cell is just wide open, torn apart by an explosion. And I'm...alive?

I reach to touch the dull ache growing above my right eyebrow, and remove my fingers to see the ruby red blood on the tips. My eyes dart towards what used to be my right-side wall and the wall towards the outside.

Then, that mix of both disbelief and excitement flops over in my stomach, and I can't keep the wicked grin off my face.

I'm alive.

And I'm free.

Eight years of sadness thumps heavily against my chest. Eight years of grief. Of anger. Of fury and bloodlust. Eight years of fantasizing what I'd do to not only each of the human soldiers who stood by that day, but the emperor himself. How I would bring down every human who laughed and applauded and cheered on as they slaughtered one single person.

This is the day I've been waiting for.

I'm shaky on my legs at first, but I don't have time to take it easy or to question any of it. Explosions had torn the prison apart, and that is all the information I need right now.

I have to go.

I have to leave.

They've let the monster out of its cage.

It's not only an obstacle course now that walls and ceilings have collapsed, but also a graveyard. There's blood everywhere, and my only assumption is that whoever was in the cell next to me quite literally exploded. Several body parts are strewn along the hallway, but I can't be too sure - everything is a mess.