Chapter Ten: (Don't Fear) The Reaper

If Eve could remember the details of their seven days together, she would know that Gabriel found her amusing.

Questions. She had so many questions.

Once she calmed down and her brain processed her new reality, she rattled them off with enthusiasm.

"Who shot JFK?"

"The CIA."

"Who killed Marilyn Monroe?"

"Same answer."

"Did we land on the moon?"

"Yes, but not when you think you did."

"Why are you dressed like Adam Ant?"

Gabriel laughed at that one.

"You can't see me in my true form," he told her.

Eve's head spun to reruns of "Supernatural."

"My eyes would burn out of my skull?" she asked.

He laughed again, a full-bodied laugh that struck Eve with its honesty.

"No," he assured her. "You literally wouldn't be able to see me. I am..."

He struggled to find the simplest terms.

"Energy, light... it can behave in surprising ways, correct?" he asked.

Eve nodded. "The double-slit experiment," she said.

"Right," Gabriel replied. "Good."

"Well, there are some frequencies — many of them, truthfully — that humans have yet to discover, mainly because they cannot yet perceive their existence," he explained. "I am mostly made of one of those frequencies, the same way that human vessels are mostly comprised of water. You haven't yet developed the senses needed to fully see me."

She took a second to absorb the information, then circled back to her original thought. "But why Adam Ant's wardrobe?"

"You really don't know?" he asked, smiling again. "Think back..."

He wanted to know if she could access memories like that at will. It could prove important later.

Eve searched her mind. She loved Adam Ant, for sure, when she was a kid. She was, what? Thirteen when "Strip" hit the charts? And that New Romantic look. She went all-in on that for a while...

And that was about the time...

"I first saw you when I was 13," Eve said.

Thirteen was the first difficult year Eve could remember having.

With the onset of her period, Eve went from a "sensitive" child to a hormonal hurricane. More than a week before "Mr. Monthly" arrived, she would teeter on the edge of an emotional black hole. When it finally "visited," she spent a full week crippled with cramps and migraines. And for at least three days after, she was struggling to gain her energy back, only for the PMS to start pummeling her again.

Her body, Eve was convinced at the time, was betraying her, and her mood swings grew increasingly...

"Dark," Eve whispered aloud. "I was really in a dark place, and..."

"In all that internal chemical chaos," Gabriel reminded her, "the neural pathways to your more intuitive gifts went through a growth spurt of their own. Suddenly, you sensed me."

"And it scared the shit out of me!" Eve gasped.

"I was 'Darkness' from that moment on," he chuckled.

"Because you looked like a shadow person," she said. "Like a big shadow watching me."