Chapter 12 - Unedited

I've been avoiding Arnav like the plague.

He has an uncanny ability to bring out the reaction he's aiming for in someone, which means he's used to the confident, kick-ass, foul-mouthed Zahara that he's used to. I know he's never seen me so awkward or quiet and he's absolutely loving it.

My luck strikes out today when Captain Hans pairs me up with him.

"If you're trying to avoid someone, there are ways you could do it more discretely, you know?" Arnav says.

"I have no idea what you're talking about." I say just as we crouch into position.

I notice his right foot shifting slightly before he launches in my direction at full speed. I avoid his attack swiftly, dodging at the last second to trip him. Petty, I know, but it's fun to see him kinda get annoyed.

"Saran! Wait for my command." Hans chastises him for starting too early.

"You've barely looked me in the eye." He says as he raises his hands, grinning flirtatiously at Hans. She rolls her eyes at him and gives us the signal to start.

This time, I'm the first one to attack. My right leg takes a step towards him as my left fist aims for a jab. As expected, he sees it coming. Trying to determine our fighting styles today, we throw aimless punches at each other for a minute or two. Suddenly, his uses all of his speed and strength in sending uppercuts and jabs my way. He got tired of messing around, but now he's mercilessly attacking me. I expected nothing less.

I alternate between dodging and blocking each hit. One manages to make its way through when I accidentally make eye contact with him. The punch lands on my ribs as pain flares on my side. I managed to move out the way to avoid any bruising damage, but the lingering pain tells me it was a close call. I retreat, my hand rubbing my side unconsciously as Arnav's eyes flash to it quickly. The look on his face is gone before I can even decipher what it was.

I shuffle closer to him, having decided what fighting style I'm choosing today. He pivots on his back foot as his other leg comes to kick my chest. I catch his leg in my arm as my left palm's heel drives into the left side of chest, right above his heart. He sees the move coming and uses his bodyweight to also send me flying. I manoeuvre into a roll to lessen the impact of the fall. I grin viciously when his hand comes up to rub his chest.

I get to my feet and charge before he recuperates, but he senses my thought process and retreats, rotating in circles around me. "Judo." He grins. "My favourite."

It doesn't matter that I chose Judo, he'd probably have said the same thing regardless of what I picked. We land various hits on each other, some near lethal had we not been holding back, but we're both drenched in sweat and panting slightly. This round has gone on for far longer than we're used to. I'm surprised we've lasted as long as we have. The side glances I sent to Captain Hans must work because she senses my gaze on her.

She seems to sense my gaze on her. "Alright. That's enough. Franklyn and Angela, you're next."

I rise and look at a smug Angela, while Franklyn pales a few shades lighter. He looks terrified.

Suddenly, a brick wall slams into me, and I go flying to the floor. I wasn't in a defensive stance so there isn't much I can do as Arnav hooks his arm through my dominant leg. I shriek as I grab his shirt as a last attempt to stabilize myself. I would've gained a serious concussion based on how I landed on my hand had it not been for the Tatami mats.

Arnav's eyes are actually a dark brown shade, framed by thick lashes. The longer I stare the more I notice that his eyebrows also aren't symmetrical, also very in need of a wax. "I win." My eyes go to his lips as he speaks, pink, thin but plump, curled into a devilish smirk of victory. His nose looks like it never needs to be contoured and his cheekbones are high and defined. In that moment, I realized how handsome Arnav actually is as I slowly feel a blush rise to my cheeks.