Chapter 4: Words from Beyond

Shelly was a generous host. She let the group rest in the guest rooms of their mansion after a sumptuous meal prepared by their family chef.

"Do you really think it is a good idea for you to join this quest?" Sally spoke to Shelly after the guys retreated to the rooms assigned to them. "Our brothers would forbid you if they were here."

"I have been confined to this house for years Sal. Even if I venture outside just to shop or visit a place, I am surrounded by guards and maids," Shelly told her sister. "This time, I got to go on my own. I can sense this is what I was born to do."

When their mother was still alive she kept telling Shelly stories about the old Salamanca. She said that one day her purpose will be made known and that she would have to go out to the world. She tried to ask her what she meant but her mother just gave her usual mysterious smile.

Shelly believes she knew a lot of things but can't tell her exactly what those were. Her mother was just like her. A seer whose reputation was only known by very few people who in turn help them amass great wealth in exchange for advise on anything that ails or troubles them.

She died serving like an oracle not just to other people but to her own family too. She was kept like a prized possession just as the other women in her family having the same gift of Second sight.

She told Shelly before she died that Fate got something more in stored for her and when they get revealed to her she should be courageous enough to take them.

***

Kyle laid in bed staring at the ceiling of the room given to him. He never expected that his search for answers about his disturbing dreams will lead him to this and he could feel that there is so much more to come.

He tried to find a comfortable position to sleep but it seemed to evade him.

He closed his eyes but instead he felt like someone was in the room. That gnawing feeling that someone was looking at you. Kyle opened his eyes again and turned to his right where a man glowing in faint light was sitting on the small chair at the foot of the bed.

Before he could speak, the strange man smiled at him with his piercing dark eyes that looked like his own.

"I am happy you have come, son," it was Raphael or more likely his spirit. "There is trouble ahead of you but what has to happen has to come."

"Tell us how we can end this evil you speak of," Kyle asked the spirit while trying to quell the initial fear he felt. "What do we need to do?"

"The dwellers of the hidden earth got the seeds. The faeries carry the breath of life as the salamanders purifies with fire. And the sea dwellers clean and bless you," Raphael uttered the words without moving his lips. He seemed to be speaking in his mind.

"What do you mean by that?" Kyle continued to ask him.

"Seek them without fear and they would reveal to you the things to come. But waste no time for it is quickly slipping away my child," Raphael replied as he faded in the shadows.

Kyle stood up to run after Raphael but he was already gone. He tried to ponder what he told him.

He opened the built-in closet to find his bag. He searched the notes given by Jacob's grandfather.

"Earth Dwellers are the Gnomes and Dwarves with their treasures underground," Kyle read out loud from the notes. "Playful Faeries of woodlands hover, unseen like the air. Fearsome Salamanders in their fiery realm and the Elusive Undines and Merfolk of the seas and their mysteries."

So he was referring to the Elementals. Most of them are tricksters and fearsome creatures. Old Jaime warned them in dealing with these beings. Their help often than not are given in exchange for something.

He studied the notes and how these beings acts or deals with humans in the past. He will share everything he learned to the group tomorrow before they leave for the first portal in town.