Chapter One: Nutrition.

"L-Leyley, I don't—... want to."
"Well I do! Just go over and __k_e_ to ___ __th you."
"I thought she's your friend?"
"Well mom said you'd help me with anything!"
"We'll get in trouble!"
........................

Ashley opened her eyes, waking up from another dream. She was hungry, as usual.

Goooo-ooood morning, Ashley!!

"Ugh..." Ashley muttered under her breath, hungry and tired. It had been 3 months since they've been locked in their apartment because they drank some stupid contaminated water and the wardens refuse to give them food which is just great.

As much as you love feeling sorry for yourself, it is time for a little interlude... It is titled "Find Nutrients To Not Die." Ready, set, go!

Ashley scoffed before starting to scavenge around the house for any food she and her brother could eat in their small, messy, and dirty apartment. She went over to the kitchen as most people do when hungry and opened the cabinets. Inside the cabinets was

NOTHING! good job, Ashley.

Second Person
You went to the table and looked to check what was on it. Junk and unpaid bills. They cannot be eaten. You sighed and went to you and your brother's room. Your older brother was still sleeping so you decided to look around the room for food. Why would you 2 have food in your room? Who knows? But it's worth a shot. It was a pretty small room, having a closet with a bookshelf next it. A desk with a few plants on it and of course you and your brother's bed, both on opposite sides of the room. You glanced at the alarm clock. The clock ticking away. You eventually gave up on looking in you and your brother's room and left, going back to the main room which contained the living room and kitchen. You walked over to the trash bags near the front door. This is where you and your older brother pile your garbage. It's already been scavenged several times and is truly and utterly exhausted as a food source. But wait a second! What is that..? You managed to find a can of unopened tomatoes in one of the trash bags. Amazing! You should show it to your brother. You smiled and walked back to you and your brother's room with the can of tomatoes in your hands.

Third Person
Ashley grins as she steps into the room with her brother Andrew now awake and sitting on his bed. She shows him the Tomato Can with pure joy on her face. "Tadaah!" Ashley said, holding the can of tomatoes infront of his face. Andrew looked at it with a frown, Not the kind of reaction she was expecting. Ashley frowned and cleared her throat "A-hem..." she smiles again and says it with more enthusiasm "TADAAAAAAAAAHHH!!" Andrew put his hands on his hip "We are not eating that." Ashley got a bit confused and raised an eyebrow "Huh..?" "No. That's the last thing we have, Ashley. I think we should hold on to it for a little longer." Andrew said, leaning against his bed frame. Ashley got disappointed and frustrated as she started whining and complaining and Andrew got annoyed "Quit your complaining. You're energetic enough to go rummaging through our trash so clearly you aren't dying yet!" Ashley was surprised when he mentioned her rummaging through the trash "Huh? How did you know it was in—" Andrew cut her off "Because I hid it there! Away from you." Ashley's eyes widened as she let out a dramatic gasp "I live in a den of snakes!!" Andrew groaned, putting his face in his hands "Don't rile me up... you're making me hungry" Ashley smirked "Do you know what would help with that, Andrew my dear?" Andrew scoffed "No. Put the tomatoes away somewhere." Ashley made a little taunting face (kinda like 😗) "Put them in my mouth, I will." Andrew frowned and spoke ".........I can see that your heart is set on this." He said, looking to the side. He was thinking before he sighed and looked at her. "Fine. Let's eat them then. Screw our future selves.." Ashley smiled and hugged him "thank you, thank you, thank you!!" She said with pure happiness.

Time to go cook some tomatoes. Ashley lets go of Andrew and walks out of their room with the joy of a 5 year old child having a sugar rush after eating a shit ton of candy. She walks towards the stove and before she could turn it on, she hears loud knocking on the door.

"Good day! Are you still alive in there??"

A warden yelled from outside. ".............." Yeah, Ashley was not glad to hear from them if they weren't gonna give them food.
"Hellooo-oooo?? If you won't make a sound, I'll assume you're dead. And I don't bring food for the dead!" Ashley's eyes widen out of anger and annoyance as she ran towards the door and shouted "You don't bring it to the living either!!" "Hah! I'll take that as a yes, still alive." The warden on the other side of the door said with a hint of smugness in his voice before speaking again. "And don't blame me for the delivery guys screwing up." Ashley rolled her eyes, putting a hand on her hip "Can't you go grab something from the store for us?" "Nah, not my job. I'll check in on you again later! Bye!" The warden said as his footsteps started fading away. Ashley's eyes widened as she started shouting and banging on the door "No Wait! Wait, wait! Come back!" He doesn't.

"Goddamit..." Ashley muttered under her breath, burying her face in her hands as she walked back towards the kitchen with frustration as she sighed. she boiled the canned tomatoes to make delicious canned tomatoes! There's even a little bit of pepper to season with! This is some gourmet stuff right here. No salt though. She used all of it to spike her water, in order to avoid overhydrating herself while drinking to fill her stomach. Andrew and Ashley were sat at the table, eating their canned toma- I mean- Delicious Gourmet Canned Tomatoes. ".....Well? How is it?" Ashley said, taking a bite out of her tomatoes. Andrew shrugged "At this point you could feed me a can of worms and I'd say it's the best thing I ever ate..." Ashley smirked and teased him "Kiss-ass" Andrew scoffed and took a bite out of his food "No, I'm saying that's how hungry I am!" It is in that moment that an ominous audio assaults their ear drums. Andrew spoke with annoyance "..........Are you kidding me? The neighbour is at it again??"

1122 words