ONE.

THE NEXT CHAPTER

Ruby was clutching the letter in her hands, staring at it in astonishment. It was a strange letter to receive, and not just because it was delivered to her via white rabbit bunny. It wasn't even that strange that the white rabbit wore a tattered, blue waistcoat and held a pocket watch, considering who the letter came from. No, what astonished Ruby was that her aunt had even send her a letter at all. The White Queen sure as hell had a twisted sense of humour, just like her sister. Guess they weren't total opposites after all.

Here Ruby was, finally getting her life in order, finding a sense of peace she'd never known before. She was going to therapy and learning to deal with not only her past but also her magic and how to let it out safely. She was learning to open up to her friends and allowing them to help her. Sure, she was still learning and she messed up from time to time, but she was getting better at them. She was growing. Even the whole 'girlfriend of the King' role was starting to come to her more easily as she and Ben set up the program to bring a lot of VKs to the Isle much faster. They'd already upped the number of kids who'd join them from five to ten. If everything went right, they'd be bringing ten kids to Auradon every two weeks.

Yet, here the White Queen was, offering the very thing that Ruby had wanted all her life. The thing she'd been taught to want more than anything. The very thing that was her birth right: a chance at the throne of Wonderland.

Why was it that the first time in her life that her aunt reached out to her, it was to invite her to stay in Wonderland permanently and learn about the Queendom and how to rule it one day? Why was it that her aunt only reached out now that everything was settling just right for Ruby? It'd been almost a year to date since Ruby arrived in Auradon and this was the first attempt at contact her aunt had made with her. Sure, she'd send Matt to keep an eye on her, but this was the first time she reached out in person. Through a letter of all things. Very personal indeed, auntie.

Ruby didn't know what to think. It almost felt like the timing was on purpose. As if she would never get to be at peace without something coming at her, threatening to change and ruin it all. She knew she ought to be happy. She'd been raised with the idea she'd rule Wonderland one day and her aunt was basically offering her that chance on a silver platter. But Ruby's life was in Auradon now. It was at Ben's side, with the support of her friends, old and new. She had her people around her and she loved where she was now. She couldn't just give it all up to go live in Wonderland, but it was clear that those were the conditions her aunt had set for her. She'd get to learn how to rule Wonderland as its Queen under the guidance of the White Queen in the White Castle. She could not learn this without taking a permanent residence there, according to the Queen.

Of course, Ruby could somewhat understand this reasoning, even if she disliked it. It'd be strange for her to one day rule Wonderland without ever having lived there. It was expected from a Queen to live in the land she ruled. That didn't mean Ruby was happy about it. She didn't want to forfeit her right to the throne of Wonderland, but she also felt like she was being pushed towards a choice she wasn't ready to make yet. She'd only just turned eighteen, she wasn't ready to leave her life behind in favour for her duties. She had plenty of duties already.

"What are you doing out here?" A set of arms wrapped around her waist, making her jump, startled out of her thoughts. She relaxed in the embrace and leant back into Ben's arms.

"Don't scare me like that, Beastie."

"I couldn't help it. But hey, at least I didn't end up with a knife to my throat this time."

Ruby elbowed him lightly. "You got lucky. I was distracted."

"I noticed. What's that?" Ben drew back a little, allowing Ruby to turn toward him. She handed him a letter.