Chapter 2: The First Deception

I exit the stage in a daze. What just happened?

My hands twitch, wanting to open the case to see what's inside, but Spycraft 101 screams not to open any private correspondence with others around. And right smack in the middle of a graduation ceremony with hundreds of curious eyes definitely qualifies.

When I get back to my seat, now with the rest of the students, I've got Jesse on one side of me, and my best friend and roommate, Keeley on my other side.

Jesses drapes his arm over my shoulder and stretches his long legs out in front of us and we wait for the rest of the names to be called.

Keeley, a person who wound up looking even prettier after the Academy's Makeup and Disguise class than before she started, flips her blonde hair over her shoulder and grins. "We did it! We finally did it!" She opens her case and gazes at her diploma then nudges mine. "Open yours. Make sure they didn't switch yours with someone else's."

My hand tightens on my case and whatever else is waiting inside. I shake my head. "I'm sure it's fine. It's not like we have five hundred people in our graduating class."

"Well, okay, fine," she says, wrinkling her nose and rolling her eyes. "The senior party is right after this. Are you coming?"

"I can't," I say, glancing at my parents and waving. They grin and wave at me. "I'm gonna spend the evening with my parents before they have to go back."

"How do you get to spend extra time with your parents? My mom had to hold up the phone and do a Zoom video for Dad. And Mom's got..." Keeley checks the time. "Less than an hour before she's gotta take off too."

Jesse rolls his eyes. "At least you have parents." He rolls his eyes.

Keeley winces. "You're right. Sorry. I forgot."

Jesse shakes his head, his good mood completely fizzled. "It's fine. I'm ready to blow this joint though. But first, we party!" His smile reappears, but not to the degree it was before.

I lean into his body. "Make sure to be extra festive for me, okay?"

"Sure thing, babe."

After graduation, I split off to meet up with my parents. But when I search the seats for them, they're gone. I pull out my phone and text them.

Me: Where are you?

Mom: Had to run to the bathroom. Meet us there?

Me: On my way.

I weave in and out of small groups of uniformed adults and navy-robed graduates toward the exit. Mr. Rigg's instruction to wait until I'm alone to read the message tickles my brain, and it's an itch I've got to scratch.

I find a quiet window alcove away from the crowd and sit on the ledge. Glancing around to endure nobody is nearby, I open the diploma case and snatch the envelope resting on top of my diploma. The envelope is sealed with a crest that says APEX on it, but the design is different from our Academy.

Opening the envelope, I pull out the white paper and unfold it to read the message.

CONFIDENTIAL. FOR YOUR EYES ONLY

Ms. Steele,

Congratulations on being the Valedictorian of the Apex Academy. Each year, we choose the most talented student to fast-track into our program, allowing them on-the-job training rather than book learning. At the recommendation of your Headmaster and the other teachers at the academy, you are this year's candidate.

If you choose to accept, you begin immediately. You have twenty-four hours to decide. Do not discuss this matter with anyone. Please call the number below if you choose to accept.

Sincerely,

APEX

CONFIDENTIAL. FOR YOUR EYES ONLY

I stare at the page for several seconds.

"There you are! We've been looking all over for you!" My mom calls, dragging my attention back to the paper.

I shove the paper back into the envelope, then close the diploma cover before looking up and smiling at my parents as if my life hasn't just been knocked on its side. Mom's in her Dress blues from the Navy, her hat tucked under her arm. Her blond hair is pulled into a French twist, colorful ribbons cover the upper left side of her black jacket, and a crease travels down the front of her trousers to her gleaming black shoes.

Dad looks every bit the Army officer with his short-cropped blond hair, olive green jacket covered in his share of colorful ribbons, and creases down his pants sharp enough to cut a steak.

"Sorry," I say, standing. I press my hand to my side, half-concealing the diploma by my gown. "I got distracted. Jesse gave me a romantic letter, and told me to read it."

Dad cringes away from me. "Thanks for not including us. Now that you're done, shall we go celebrate?"

"Absolutely," I say, allowing them to lead the way.

I'm already counting down the minutes until I can read that note again and verify I didn't imagine things.