48. when i want to forget how i'm feelin'

CHAPTER FORTY-EIGHT

CHAPTER FORTY-EIGHT.
narrative
kate's pov

march 14, 2023: iowa city, iowa

INCOMING  CALL FROM
' LEE '

ACCEPT               DECLINE

I furrow my brows as I stare down at the screen of my phone. It was unusual for Leah to call me. If she needed anything, she would text me. Pressing the phone to my ear, I work on putting the rest of my practice gear in my bag.

"Hey, Lee? What's up?" I ask, still confused by the call.

"Hey, um, I don't want you to panic," she says. I stop what I'm doing and stand still, awaiting her next words. "I'm taking Freya to the hospital."

My heart drops.

"For what? What's going on?" I ask quickly, catching the attention of Caitlin and Jada who are across the locker room from me. Freya hadn't been feeling the best for a couple of days now, nauseous and pain in her abdomen, but it must've flared up now.

Leah lets out a sigh. "She just threw up, like so much, and she's burning up. She's also complaining about the right side of her abdomen hurting, like bad.

"I called my dad and asked what to do and he said to take her to the hospital."

I run a hand over my face. "Why didn't she call me?"

"She knew you were at practice. I only called because Caitlin just texted me, so I knew it was over," Leah explains.

I look at Caitlin and Jada who are staring at me now. Jada gives me a confused look, mouthing, "What's going on?" I just hold my finger up to let her know that I need a minute.

"Can I talk to Freya?" I ask.

"Yeah, yeah, of course," Leah says. "Here, Frey," she adds softly.

After a few seconds, I hear heavy breathing over the other side of the phone. "Hi," my girlfriend says, her throat scratchy as I assume she's been crying.

"Hey, honey," I greet softly, trying to calm her down. "It's gonna be okay, all right?"

"Are you coming?" she asks, a few soft cries escaping her lips.

I nod despite the fact that she can't see me. "I'm getting ready to leave Carver now. I'll be there before you know it."

"Okay," she says, her voice cracking a bit.