𝐈 𝐄𝐱𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐜𝐞 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐄𝐦𝐨𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐚𝐥 𝐏𝐚𝐢𝐧 𝐨𝐟 𝐇𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐭𝐛𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐤

This story is my first fanfiction. It still follows a majority of the Percy Jackson canon timeline
All rights reserved to Rick Riordan and his works except for my own character
There are brief sexual mentions, violence, and language throughout some parts of the story
Advised Age is 15+

The story switches between Percy and Claude's Point of Views from time to time

June 18, 2011
Percy Jackson's POV

I broke up with Annabeth.

You are probably thinking, "Percy, you and Annabeth were supposed to be the perfect couple."

I know. It sounds stupid right? We just finished our first year together in New Rome University too. Yes, we started dating when we were 16. Yes, me and Annabeth fell through Tartarus and saved Olympus twice. Yes, she judo-flipped me in front of the entire Roman camp... definitely not my best moment. I thought we would have the happy ending we deserved. After all, she went with me on my first quest to retrieve Zeus's master bolt. I was 12 at the time and we've been friends since then. All seemed well... until she confronted me a few days ago.

"Percy I'm breaking up with you," Annabeth had stated calmly that day as she sat across from me in Cabin 3. It was a late summer afternoon on Friday right after Capture the Flag.

"What? Why?" I asked with confusion, worry, and fear in my voice.

"It's supposed to be for your own sake. Ever since we fell into Tartarus, I've been having these..." She paused slightly before continuing, "nightmares. I know you've been having them too."

"We both made a promise to stay together no matter what," I said, my voice shaky as my mind went into overdrive.

"And I'm keeping that promise. Just... not as your girlfriend Percy," Annabeth said in a comforting way as she reached out and took my hand, "I'll still be your friend. Nothing can change that."

To say I was depressed for the next few days was a complete understatement. You would think that a powerful son of Poseidon like me can control my tears right? You're completely wrong. I was balling my eyes out. I had locked myself up in Cabin 3 for days and I was way too embarrassed to go out to the Dining Pavilion to eat breakfast, lunch, or dinner. At least Nico and Will were nice enough to deliver food to me, and Grover became my full time therapist for the week (He was useless).

After a whole week of complete and wholesome sulking in Cabin 3, I wanted to get out and think.

"You know what... just don't think about her today. Go to the beach and look at the waves," I thought with a small sigh as I got up out of my bed. I put on an orange Camp Half-Blood shirt and denim shorts.

It was still quite early in the morning so not many demigods were up and about as I walked. I could see the occasional demigod giving me an inspecting side-eye as I walked past them.

"So news of the breakup passed around camp," I thought, rolling my eyes as I walked past the eyeing demigods. I walked for a few minutes down the dirt path until I reached the soft sand of the coastline.

The beach lining the camp is all too familiar to me as my calm thinking place. I took off my shoes as I neared the water and the cool ocean waves rolled over my feet as I sat down.

If I could spend the rest of my life anywhere, it would be the beach. I loved the salty smell of the ocean, the feeling of the summer breeze blowing through my hair, and the feeling of the cool water on my skin. It was pure bliss. It's probably because I'm a son of Poseidon... no scratch that, definitely because I'm a son of Poseidon.

"Instead of sulking in my domain, maybe you should be doing something productive?" A deep voice said behind me.

"Oh and right on cue too," I thought sarcastically with a frown.

"Hello to you too Dad," I said as I rolled my eyes, sass dripping from my voice, "I don't think you know how emotions work."

"Of course I know how emotions work," Poseidon said as he sat next to me, "After all, I met your mother."

The blush that rose on my face was so red that I looked like I was about to burst in flames.

"Dad I don't think I need details-" I said with embarrassment before Poseidon interrupted me.

"So you already know that she met me at Montauk. She was quite beautiful then and still is. We did a lot of stuff when we spent that summer together and my oh my, was she good in the-" Poseidon explained with a smile before I slapped him in the arm.

"I'm going to kill you," I muttered with a frown. Poseidon laughed.

"That was supposed to cheer you up!" Poseidon joked with a grin, "But seriously... I know you're going through a lot now that you broke up with Annabeth. You should talk to someone," Poseidon suggested sincerely.

"Is that a hint for me to see an Olympian therapist?" I said with a raised eyebrow, "Is there a god of therapy on Mount Olympus?" I joked plainly.

"Mm well you may have to see Apollo for that," Poseidon said with a chuckle, "But no. I suggest potentially... an old friend of yours."

My mind completely went blank. "You... want me to talk to Claude?" I asked hesitantly.

"Why yes. There's no harm right?" Poseidon said cheerfully, "But that was Zeus's suggestion, blame him. I have business to deal with now." Poseidon winked at me before turning into a pure white dolphin, jumping into the ocean.

"You can't just leave me like that!" I yelled as Poseidon swam away, his white fins disappearing under the waves, "Stupid shapeshifting," I muttered under my breath.

But as I thought a bit more, I realized I technically had no choice. Grover was completely useless in these type of situations, Nico and Will wouldn't understand, and I definitely couldn't talk to Annabeth.

I sighed. "Time to go talk to Claude," I muttered under my breath.

It wasn't that I didn't want to talk to him. We haven't talked in 4 years of course I wanted to catch up with him. But the old feelings that were resurfacing in my mind gave me the butterflies.

I still have a crush on him.

Just as a disclaimer, some of the publish dates of these chapters will not match the actual publish date due to edits I make and then republishing the edited chapters