Chapter 1

"Put me down now!"

I continued to shout as my head bobbed up and down hitting his muscular back repeatedly as we ascended up his stairs and into his home.

A loud smack to my backside silenced me.

He opens the door to the upper level of his home and walks straight towards the kitchen and places me down right on top of the counter. He leaves momentarily to pull up a chair and he sits directly in the middle of my legs as they dangle off the counter. He sits down and glares at me with his honey brown eyes for what felt like an eternity saying nothing. I begin to press my thighs together to conceal the heat I felt from his gaze.

"So are we just gonna stare at each other all night or are you going to tell me what you want?"

Silence

"Well it was nice seeing you; not really, but I'm going to leave now"

I begin to slide my way off the counter, but he doesn't seem to like that very much. He stands up quickly and my head hits his chest. Stopping me in my tracks. I look up in annoyance, because he wont let me leave, but the look he gives stills me. Not wanting to let my fears show, I return his expression with an arrogant smirk.

Within seconds I felt his ice cold hand gripping my chin forcing me to lose my smirk. The touch of his hands ignites a fire within me I tried my best to forget. What an enigma that his hands can be so ice cold, yet set my body a flame wherever he may touch.

" If you have something to say just say it already so I can get the hell out of here!!"

He cocks his head to the side and finally begins to speak, but what he says leaves my mouth ajar...

" I'm very disappointed in you lee. You make me fall in love with you, I invite you into my home, you lie to my face, You leave your resignation on my desk without warning and try to skip town. I thought you were different Aaliyah, but it seems like all women are just the same. I was ready to spend the rest of my life with you and to find out you tried to ruin my career is absurd. I brought you here because I want to know why? Why would you do something like this? Why drag it out so far? You're not leaving until I get some answers!"

4 months earlier...

*alarm rings* no reaction

*alarm rings again*

"Aaliyah get up hoe it's your first day at work and you can't be late. You know i still gotta press your hair and I got work in a little while and I'm not bout to be late, so if you want that hair done let's move"

" Fine fineeee I'm up and good morning to you too hoe"

With the thought of me being late for work in mind I get up and start on my normal morning routine. which consists of making my bed, opening my blinds, taking my shower, doing my skin care and drinking my kombucha.

My first day outfit of choice is black slacks, a white bodysuit, some silver jewelry and don't forget the Louie's I got for my twenty-first birthday. It's simple, but cute. Once dressed I make my way to the living room where my best friend/ roommate awaits me to silk press my hair. I contemplated just wearing my Afro, but I wanted to give Olivia pope with my little bob.

Giving myself a once over I make a few adjustments to my makeup, grab my bag and we hustle out the door. We hop in 4play ( her all black Tahoe) and zoom to my destination. The ETA says we're 30 minutes out, but with traffic that will turn into 45.

Mone't was able to kill about 5 minutes and I reached the location at 9:10am. I rush into the building and look at the wall for my suite number. Finding it promptly I rushed over to the elevator and waited for the next one to come.

I hop into the elevator and I'm so preoccupied I forget to press the number. That's when i hear a deep raspy voice asking me

" What floor? "

I respond " Floor 33 C&C Marketing "

I'm so distracted checking my emails repeatedly I don't even bother to look up at this stranger's face.

" Traffic? " He asked

" when is there not, it's manhattan"

" You should try leaving earlier then i hear the boss doesn't like it when people are late"

" You should try minding the business that pays
you"

He doesn't respond with anything and thank god because I would hate to put him in his place on my first day, I'm already anxious enough.

We both step out of the elevator
and he is greeted with a " Hello Mr.Carter " at each turn. Mentally I am hoping I don't have to work anywhere near this goodie two shoes.

He cuts the corner and I head straight. I find the receptionist and she instructs me to go down the hall and knock on the 3rd door to the left. I knock on the door and a familiar voice tells me to come in. I look around the room taking in the atmosphere, noticing a few familiar art pieces that Monet auctioned. After taking it all in I set my eyes on a pair of honey crisp orbs glancing at me with amusement. Confusion on my face I stare back at him and give a shy

" Hello"

Amusement still written on his face he responds with

" Nice to meet you, I am the business that pays you, but most people call my Mr.Carter"