Chapter 8

Time slowed down.

I could physically feel every beat of my heart, my blood circulating around my body as the cold air hurtled past my face and body. My vision sharpened as it zeroed on the roof of the car leaving everything else a blurry mess. 

And then...time sped up. 

A sharp gust of air escaped me as I landed painfully on the roof of the car. My knees crumpling landing on my front, ignoring the sharp pinpricks as my face slapped against the cold metal of the car. 

Adrenaline pumping and gasping for air I looked back up at the window, locking gaze with numerous dead stares and slack jaws. I quickly jumped off the roof of the car and jumped into the passenger seat, Darnell driving off in a rain of gravel with the door hanging ajar. 

"I told you I'd make it." I teased Darnell, my voice breathy betraying the fear I actually felt and all I got was a glare in return as he focused on getting us back onto the main road. 

Turning around in my seat I grabbed the black gym bag from the back and unzipped it revealing my collection of weaponry. You'd be amazed how easy it is to get guns and heavy artillery when society crumbles. Surprisingly, most of them were found in homes however we did raid the odd police station when things reached below rock bottom. 

Grabbing the machine gun closest to the top and throwing the rest back I rolled down the window and stuck my upper body out of the window, my right elbow resting on the window sill with my pointer finger resting on the trigger.

"Drive steady." I instructed Darnell, my voice half carried away in the bitter wind. I took a deep breath through my nose and quickly expelled it through my mouth, the quivering in my body decreasing slightly as I stared down the barrel at the at the bodies in front of us.

Taking another deep breath of the cool air, I took aim and pressed the trigger.