CHAPTER 7

"Love ain't what it seems cuz hearts don't only beat they break"~ Jessie Murph

>>>

The exam hall door clicked shut behind Nyoka with a finality that mirrored the knot of worry tightening in her stomach. Had she aced it? Flopped it? The multiple-choice questions regarding scientific gibberish all seemed to blur together in a haze of test anxiety. Shrugging off the uncertainty, she stepped out into the bustling hallway. There wouldn't be any classes today, but the prospect of returning to her apartment like some of her peers would, held little appeal.

Deciding to clear her head, Nyoka wandered towards the campus basketball courts. The rhythmic squeak of sneakers on hardwood and the enthusiastic shouts of the players drew her in. As the teams battled for possession, a familiar face caught her eye. Taylor, Richard's girlfriend, sat alone on a nearby bench, her chin resting on her hand, a picture of dejection.

Just like Richard's idea of a perfect sculpture, Taylor's meticulously curled light brown hair cascaded around her shoulders like spun silk, framing her delicate features with an almost ethereal grace. Her long lashes fluttered like the wings of a butterfly, and her lips painted a bold shade of red, seemed to be plucked straight from the canvas of his imagination.

Nyoka didn't know much about her, but she did know that Taylor and Richard had been entwined in a long and tumultuous romance, a story whispered in hushed tones across the college campus. Even during Richard's infatuation with Nyoka, Taylor remained steadfast in his life. It begged the question: Did Taylor know about Nyoka? Did she realise her boyfriend's heart was ensnared by another, or was she merely a blissful bystander in Richard's tangled web of emotions?

Nyoka hesitated for a moment. Approaching Taylor felt intrusive, but curiosity gnawed at her. With a deep breath, she forced a smile and sauntered over.

"Hey, Taylor, right?" Nyoka greeted, offering a friendly wave. "Mind if I join you?"

Taylor glanced up, a flicker of surprise crossing her features. "Uh, sure," she mumbled, scooting over on the bench.

Nyoka sat down, her gaze lingering on the intense game unfolding before them. "Great game, isn't it?" she commented, hoping to break the ice.

"Yeah," Taylor replied softly, her eyes returning to the court. A heavy silence settled between them, punctuated only by the rhythmic squeak of sneakers.

Nyoka decided a more direct approach might be best. "You know, Richard would've loved this game," she said gently, watching Taylor's reaction. Her gaze turned sharp, a flicker of something akin to anger replacing the sadness.

"Richard loved a lot of things about Lakeland," Taylor said curtly, her eyes darting towards Nyoka as if passing across a silent message. "But I could never compete with his one true love, wouldn't you agree?" she inquired, sarcasm dripping from her words as she spoke.

Nyoka blinked, pretending to be taken aback by the sudden shift in Taylor's demeanour. The friendliness she'd initially offered felt misplaced now. She sensed the tension thickening in the air like a suffocating fog, Taylor's words landing with a weight Nyoka hadn't anticipated. Perhaps if there were no purpose to her confronting Taylor, she would have enjoyed seeing her get riled up this much, but she couldn't break character, not when things were getting so heated.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to--" Nyoka began, her voice trailing off as Taylor's gaze bore into her with an intensity that sent a shiver down her spine.

"Of course, you didn't mean to," Taylor interjected, her tone dripping with bitterness. "You never do, do you?" Her words cut through the air like a knife, leaving Nyoka momentarily speechless.