2. Midnight Cards And An Unlikely Bond

Word Count: 1645

---------------------------------------------------------------

Luckily, Caleb and Evelyn were fine with (Y/N) staying over for the night. In fact, they actually seemed almost elated that Philip had made a 'friend'.

"This is your bedroom?" (Y/N) asks, looking around the small, slightly cramped room.

"Yes, I suppose..." He follows (Y/N) in. Caleb and Philip had been staying with Evelyn when they visited the Demon realm, much to Philip's dismay, but at least he got his very own room.

"Hm... It's tiny." He turns to Philip, smiling. "I really like it."

"Fantastic," Philip answers.

(Y/N) looks around the room a bit more. It wasn't anything special, it was a small average room with a spare mattress on the floor for the time.

(Y/N) hadn't packed anything with him, apart from the spare keys to the mansion which were already in his pocket before meeting Philip. A spare change of clothes might have been a good idea, but he wasn't really thinking when he offered to come over to Philip's house.

"Your parents are very kind, Philip." He comments, turning to the other boy again.

Philip's expression tightened. "They're not my parents." He uncomfortably says.

"Oh- I see... Who are they to you?" (Y/N) asks with a hint of surprise.

"My brother and his... Ladyfriend." He says, his tone turning to the slightest sound of discontent at the mention of Evelyn.

"Ah, okay!" He nods, understanding now. "So, where are your parents then? Business trip? Honeymoon? Vacation? My parents have a lot of those!"

Philip glares, his voice strained. "Away." He answers dryly. "Let's talk about something else, please."

Noticing Philip's discomfort, (Y/N) nods, catching on. "Can I sit?"

"... Certainly." Philip relaxes with a deep exhale.

He leads (Y/N) to the bed and the two boys sit in silence for a few moments.

Just as Philip was about to open his mouth and say something, Evelyn and Caleb walked through the bedroom door.

"We bought you two snacks!" Evelyn chipperly says, setting down two bowls and Caleb sets down a smaller bowl and a couple of glass bottles of some sweet-looking beverages. "Come pull our sleeves if you need anything.

"There's some board- and card games in the closet in the living room," Caleb says as the two finish setting up the snacks. "You two have a nice night now." He smiles while walking out, Evelyn trailing close behind and sending a playful wave to the two boys.

"Thank you, Mr. Caleb, Ms. Evelyn." (Y/N) smiles gratefully before the door shuts. Then he turns to Philip again, still smiling. "What should we do, friend Philip?"

Philip isn't nearly as excited as (Y/N). He shrugs. "What's next?" He suggests with a slight smile.

"What?" a bit off-guard, (Y/N) questions.

"The game called what's next. Do you not know it?"

"I've never heard of that. Tell me the rules!"

Philip supposes (Y/N) was a witch. It wasn't odd that he didn't know what the game would be. Actually, this turn of events relieved Philip a little. He had never really played icebreaker games like these in the Human realm, so he wasn't entirely sure if he knew the rules correctly, but it wouldn't matter if he got them a bit wrong. (Y/N) wouldn't laugh at him.