Chapter 3

AN - In case you're confused by Emma's fear of the job, she's very shy - she hates talking to new people, and especially a strange nan that she fears could be insane :P

Enjoy.

Chapter 3

My sister was not an unkind person; she was, perhaps, a little brusque, and often foolish, but I don't think she is a bad person. I suppose her ability to "have her way" with men made me feel a little alienated towards her. She was different to me. She was outgoing and pushy and a little over the top. I preferred things quiet and simple. I did not need velvet and pearls to be content.

So you can imagine how I once again felt out of place here, standing with my battered trunk and small carpet bag, my shabby hat perched on my upswept hair, on the steps of the grand house I visited two days ago.

I'm going to live here, I thought. I'm going to live here and care for a full-grown man and keep house. And I'm only seventeen. What are you thinking, Emma?

I leaned forward, timidly knocking on the door. Once again, barks filled the air from the manor, along with the most efficient footsteps of a Miss Darla.

"Yes? Oh, hello, Miss Butler. Do come in."

I stepped inside slowly, nervously clutching my meager luggage in my white hands. I was starting to second guess myself on my ability again. There was no way I could do this. Live in another home, care for a strange person whose condition was still a mystery to me. Visions of hallucinating maniacs in large wheelchairs clouded my mind suddenly, until the maid interrupted them.

"Miss Butler, your room is located on the east wing on the second floor. I will take you up. In an hour, we will serve lunch, and then at one o'clock, Mrs Dinsmoore will explain your duties in more detail."

She gave me a sharp glance, peering at me from beneath her frilly mobcap. I hastily nodded until she turned back around.

"Now... Follow me, please."

I stupidly nodded at her turned head and followed on.

We reached my room in a few moments. Darla twisted the knob and then stood back, allowing me to gaze in. It was beautiful, all done in soft green tones, with dark colored furniture and sweeping drapes across the large window that reached the top of the ceiling to the floorboards. A dark green sofa sat beside a small table, and a door led off to a bathroom that led through to my bed chamber.

I stood in awe, wondering how on earth they managed to mix me up with an important guest.

"Darla," I managed, spinning around to face her, "this can't be my room! What about servant's quarters?"

"You are not an ordinary servant, Miss Butler, and will not be treated as such. Now, I'm going downstairs. Remember to eat lunch in an hour."

And with that, she left me alone in a room fit for a princess.

~

"Now then, Emma, are you settled in?"

"Yes ma'am, quite thank you. The room is lovely."

"I'm glad you liked it. I hope you will be comfortable. Now then, my son occupies the rooms above you, so on the third floor of the east wing. You will be keeping house for that area, as well as ensuring his comfort and care. Meals must be taken to him from the kitchen at 8:30 in the morning, 12 noon and 5:30 in the evening. He may require assistance with other activities, but I'm sure he'll let you know. Right then, go on up. I'm in a hurry to go to town, or I'd be with you. Nothing to worry about, dear."

And with that, she left.

I went up the stairs, thinking of ways to escape my unknown fate. Why I was so worried, I hardly knew, but perhaps it was simply timidity.

I finally reached the door. I took a deep breath, smoothed down my white apron, and rapped lightly on the heavy wood.

After a long pause, the voice nearly scared me out of my wits.

"Come in."

I slowly reached out and turned the knob, silently wishing for a way out. What am I thinking?