06 ; water solves all problems

❝ lovefool - the cardigans ❞

↻ ◁ II ▷ ↺

did she mention that the villa had a pool? it seemed like an essential detail she had missed, however, yes

there was a pool. 

it was circular, roughly bigger than what she had heard from descriptions of the baths in the prefect's bathrooms; she'd never snuck in there herself, however she had heard from various words of mouth of other girls in her year who had been whisked away by prefects for a cheeky little shag.

the blue tiles looked like shards of seaglass, reflecting flickers of light across the ivory skin of her legs as she floated idly by the rim; a cup of apricot juice sat behind her head as it dripped precipitation down its sides, tinging the pale grout a shade darker as the water slid over the surface.

"hello, mind if i join you?"

"yes, remus, i do mind."

remus lupin rolled his eyes, slipping into the water beside her with an ungainly grace, his feet reaching the bottom before his shoulders were even submerged. bloody tall people.

remus had arrived a day prior, brought about by a lot of whining from sirius, and careful convincing on ophelia's mother's part– remus had various trepidations about many factors, quite a few more than the average young man on a summer holiday would typical consider. for one, money. the potters had insisted that he was family, and they'd pay for any extra expenses that came with utilities, and of course, the rather recent expense in his life known as the wolfsbane potion. ophelia was quite aware that the only reason that remus had conceded to accompanying them on the holiday was the promise that he'd pay them back eventually.

she also knew that her family would never allow it.

"you didn't respond to my letter." ophelia noted, the moment remus seemed to have gotten comfortable with the slight chill of the water, at contrast with the beating noon sun. remus glanced at her, before shrugging, the faint scars on his shoulders crinkling slightly with the motion, like a slight ripple of water. "well, i was planning on joining you lot here, so why send an owl when it was likely that i would arrive before it?"

"for the sake of courtesy, lupin." ophelia said, her tone mock-serious as she watched james floating on his back in the middle of the pool, seemingly in his own world. "but alright, that's a reasonable excuse." she conceded.

"yes, my apologies for not wanting to waste parchment." the werewolf murmured, letting his fingers trail idly through the water. "but your letter was more of a threat than a letter, mind."

ophelia did chuckle at that.

"good, i see that the meaning was clear enough." she took a sip of apricot juice, before setting it down with a light clink. "it was quite intolerable without you, i forgot how idiotic those two twits were when they were together in a small space."