Act 3

By the time I had got to school, I had missed the first two periods, which was math and chemistry. I was more than happy to miss those classes. Numbers never made any sense to me anyway. I walked into the office, which smelled of old papers, ink, and very tired teenagers. 

"And who are you, showing up two hours late?" One of the secretaries demanded. I walked up to the desk with my head down and looked up.

"I'm Justin Allyo. I'm new-" I started to say, but I was cut off.

"Oh yes. I heard about you in the papers. Please, forgive me for being so rude. I know this must be hard for you, after what happened-"

"Yeah it's fine." I snapped. I didn't want to talk about that, it'd only ruin my day more, which I thought was already impossible.

"Well, let me find you your schedule and your buddy." I watched her as she went back behind her computer. On her desk, there was a silver name plate that read Mrs. Ardstem. She had to have been at least sixty in age, with gray curly hairs, and thick brown glasses.

'That must be her name' I thought to myself. "Buddy? Wbat's a buddy?" I asked.

"Oh, a buddy is like someone who you follow around. They'll take you to your classes and wait for you at the end of each one. They show you around, tell you the four-one-one on everything that's happening around here." She said.

"Oh." I replied. "Well that's okay, I'll find my way around." I said quietly. 

"Don't be silly! Look, here he comes now!" She pointed to the glass doors behind me. I turned around only to see a tall, well built black haird boy walking my way, with a cheesy grin on his face. He had a weird sports jacket on too. It had leather arms with a green velvet torso with the letters KHS, which must have stood for Killington High School. He opened the door and walked in. He must've dowsed himself in Axe that morning, because the whole office immediatly smelled of a spicey-mint. 

"Justin, this is Matt Foxten. Matt this is Justin Allyo, he just moved here from New Zealand." Mrs. Ardstem said. 

"Yeah I know about you! It's amazing your still alive! The only one from that f-" I cut him off before he could say anything he'd regret.

"Can we please not talk about that? It's hard enough already." I said, letting the words tail off like a train in the distance. 

"Well Matt, why don't you take Mr.Allyo to his gym class. On the way, you two should get to know eachother. You're lucky Justin, Matt's a very smart boy, captain of the football team.. he's the first junior to ever become captain." She smiled at him, then shooed us off into the hallways, as if we had some sort of rare deadly sickness. I checked the time on my phone. It read ten forty-six. I could tell this was going to be a long first day of school.