Chapter Five (ii)

PRISCA POV

Walking out of the library with this new guy was tempting, even though it felt wrong since it was our first meeting. Felix's words echoed in my head - I shouldn't be too quick to trust people.

With doubt swirling in my mind, I stopped in the hallway, causing David to ask, "Is everything okay, Prisca?" Though I had agreed to go with him, I didn't care if my answer hurt him. After all, I was Prisca, and I did things my own way, on my own terms. I looked into his eyes, then looked away because they were too persuasive. Still, I said firmly, "Sorry, David, let's do this another time. I have a friend in the library and a lot to catch up on before next week."

David looked away, feeling rejected. "No problem," he said without meeting my gaze. "You're right, you have a lot to read before your exams, and your friend needs you too. We'll talk another time."

While I wasn't exactly happy about it, I said sincerely, "It was nice spending time with you in the library. Here's my number. Let's catch up after this semester's exams."

David's face lit up when I offered him my number. "You're so sweet, Prisca," he said, giving me a hopeful gaze. "I look forward to it." Without another word, I walked back to the library.

Lizzy POV

At first, I was excited when Prisca and I entered the library. But that excitement vanished when I saw her choose a seat far away from mine.

Though we'd been friends since high school, she seemed different now. She did things her way, never considering how it might hurt those who cared about her.

I had planned to read at home, but she'd persuaded me to come to the library, only to disappear and read alone, knowing full well I wouldn't be able to finish everything before exams.

Yet, she didn't seem to care. Prisca was a natural learner; she didn't need to stress about studying to pass.

Feeling left alone, I focused my eyes on my course material, all the while watching her have a great time with some guy who was clearly helping her understand the material, making studying even less stressful for her.

She didn't glance my way once. How selfish could she be, enjoying herself while I was left battling these textbooks?

I wanted to go over to her, but I knew she wouldn't appreciate me interrupting her moment. She was the type of girl who believed she could handle everything alone, and that would be a problem for her if she didn't change that perspective.

Why did I even bother? It wasn't like she cared about me anyway. With a whirlwind of doubt clouding my mind, I couldn't focus no matter how hard I tried.

I needed my friend Prisca. It was like she was the only teacher who could help me pass my subjects, just like she always had since high school. We were practically inseparable, but now she wasn't there for me when I needed her the most.

When I saw her stand up, I felt a surge of nerves, wondering if she finally realized how much her actions had hurt me.

As Prisca tapped my shoulder, I felt a flicker of hope that my best friend was back. But that hope shattered when she told me she was just going out for a bit with a classmate.

Lies. He wasn't her classmate, and that realization stung even more. She left me abandoned, just like my mom and dad did.

Tears welled up in my eyes, spilling down my cheeks like rivers. I couldn't take it anymore. I bowed my head and rested it on the table, silently crying, trying not to attract attention.