0.8

❝I want everything back, the way it was

❝I want everything back, the way it was. But there is no point to it, this wanting.

MARGARET ATWOOD

0.8: formulaic progressions

OR

season 6, episode 16 : coda

THIS IS THE FOURTH TIME EMILY'S BEEN LATE THIS WEEK. Not that Fin's been counting–she has–but Emily's never late. Everyone, not just Morgan, suspects something's up, but no one has the guts to say anything. Fin doesn't have the right to say anything, considering the things she's hiding from the team. So she keeps her mouth shut when Emily walks in, blaming traffic for her tardiness, and hopes against hope that Emily was just up late having sex with a hot guy from Italy or something.

 "Let's get started," says Hotch, with a glance at Emily, before looking across the table at Penelope.

"Okay." She nods back at him. "Ten-year-old Sammy Sparks, of Lafayette Parish, Louisiana, showed up at his elementary school this morning covered in blood. When police got to his house, they found that his parents, Charlie and Alison Sparks, were missing."

"Well, forensics indicate that at least one of them was injured," Morgan says, gesturing down at his tablet. "And by the looks of it, it was pretty severely."

"Has there been a ransom demand?" Emily asks.

"There's been no communication whatsoever," Penelope replies.

"Then why call in the BAU?" Rossi frowns curiously.

"New Orleans is hoping we can interview Sammy." There's a subtext to what Hotch is saying, something he's not revealing to them yet.

"No one's talked to the witness yet?" Spencer scrunches his nose up confusedly.

"Hotch, what aren't you telling us?" Fin asks, leaning across the table, hoping to move this conversation along quickly.

"Sammy's autistic." Hotch's mouth tightens into a thin line. "Getting him to tell us what happened isn't gonna be easy. Wheels up in thirty."

After the four-hour flight to Louisiana, Hotch and Morgan go to the crime scene, and Fin and Emily were originally going to go to the store, but after a whispered conversation between Emily and Hotch, Hotch decides to send Fin with Spencer and Rossi to go talk to Sammy instead. Fin guesses it has to do with the reason Emily was late that morning, but once again, she doesn't broach the subject.

Anyway, she's not complaining: Ever since Emily's been acting strangely, she's not very good company. Spencer's not much better, but Rossi might be the only person who treats Fin like she's normal.