The Spark

Disclaimer: I do not own any of the images used on the cover or any of the chapters. Neither do I own Star Wars or anything affiliated with it, only my personal characters. All rights go to their original owners, along with all artwork.

Chapter 1: The Spark

Early 14BBY

Every day was the same. Wake up, eat, work, sleep. The repetition drove me insane, as it had been this way for me since the age of 10. I am unable to recall many details of my life before that point, but I do know that my mother and father were respectable workers for the Trade Federation, specifically under the Viceroy, Nute Gunray's, rule. Both of their bloodlines originated from generations of engineers and mechanics, their continued knowledge passed down to them continued to prove successful all throughout the galaxy until the Galactic Civil War. At that point, the Trade Federation fell into peril; and the Empire took over what was left of it.

So now as of the past few years, the manufacturing of battle droids is no longer our primary focus. The Empire had proceeded from that point on to enslave the native Geonosians, using them to gather and collect materials, forge them and build parts and pieces for some kind of 'mobile battle station' the Empire was constructing. Where this MBS is located, I haven't heard any whispers about. Our job is laid out plain and simple, do as we are told without any question or hesitation. No one gets any kind of intel whatsoever about where the constructed parts and pieces go after they are manufactured. All of our completed projects get loaded up onto a large shipment vessel and taken off-planet.

The entire operation is supervised by stormtroopers, with one or more commanders on the planet at any given time to ensure swift progress and minor, if not any, setbacks.

My primary job resides within the old droid manufacturing facility. This factory was redesigned by the Empire to mass produce parts for their MBS that would otherwise take too much time and be nearly impossible to recreate in impeccable condition by hand each and every time. The conditions inside of the facility were incredibly dangerous, unsanitary, and searing hot on top of Geonosis' usual hot and dry climate. No matter where you go, there is no escape from the heat. The native Geonosians are entirely unbothered by the sharp temperatures, their armored insectoid bodies adapted to withstand these conditions while humans on the other hand struggled.

I have been proven most useful in repairing any parts of the automated assembly line that failed to function properly. My small size in comparison to the Geonosians benefited me in having a permanent position within the factory, along with my sister. The both of us exceeded the Geonosian drones' primary focus for effective distribution, which was speed and reliability.

My sister is 8 years older than I am, and is arguably more time-efficient when it comes to her repairs and construction projects. Both of us are equally knowledgeable when it comes to knowing how countless different machines function, what parts pertain to their construction and what each component does. Mastering and memorizing these details as mental blueprints are essential for us to figure out exactly what part needs repaired or replaced when something does not function as it should. Whether it be part of the assembly line, a droid, a vehicle of any size, or any kind of weapon, the both of us could diagnose the problem and fix it within the next day. The two of us are the last of our dwindling bloodline of proficient engineers, the Vondars.